coil

ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

coil

Post by ddependo »

Last weekend running down the river at 2500 rpm and starboard motor started loosing rpm and sputtering. To make a long story short found that coil was jumping fire from negative to positive terminal. Now that is scary to have a spark jumping that 2.5 inches in the bilge. Not jumping from coil tower but from screw terminals. I have been running automotive coil because I didn't think there was a difference between a marine & automotive. This is not a high output coil.
What say you gear heads?
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: coil

Post by Fastjeff »

Yikes! Shorted out internally somehow. Slap another coil on there and you'll be fine.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Thanks Jeff I did & runs fine, just wondering
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Stuff happens. Even brand new parts fail, and often right away.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Wardog
New poster

Post by Wardog »

I basically have the same issue..i cant get starboard motor to exceed 2500 rpms..um having my mechanics look at it again..the motor shuts down..sometimes back fire..iv had carb rebuilt..a new electric fuel pump installed new plugs..and new resistor..coil is my last option. Motor has had timing reset 2 times now..anymore advice..

Wardog
1968 32 ft Marinette
318/225hp
ALKINDA
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Look for crossed plug wires. Seriously. The way the wires dive below the manifold encourages this nonsense!

Try this: With the motor warm and idling, pull each wire, one at a time, from the distributor cap and see how the motor reacts, then stuff it back in. If you notice two wires are not doing anything, switch them and see what happens.

Jeff

PS: You'd be surprised how well a Mopar V-8 will idle on 6 cylinders in a boat; mine planned off easily that way as well,
Wardog
New poster

Post by Wardog »

Ok..thanks il do that. Just got a call today that my starboard carb is gunk up again with crap in it..mechanics think it was debree. From old fuel pump replaced last month. I had a new electric fuel pump put on that motor..so basically overhaul carb again flush out fuel lines..port engine runs off of same 150gl tank with no issues...like to meet up some time..im at goosepond marina...thanks

Wardog
1968 32ft Marinette
318 motors
Alkinda
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Where's Goosepond Marina?

Jeff
Wardog
New poster

Post by Wardog »

Scottsboro Ala. I plan to cruise up to Chattanooga in the fall. For first short trip. I might be 4 hrs or 5. By boat...
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Sounds nice.

Jeff