Findinging TDC and setting Distrib on rebuilt Engine

Bud719
Tin star

Re: Findinging TDC and setting Distrib on rebuilt Engine

Post by Bud719 »

Yes, I am amazed! In about 20 minutes, Fastjeff had her running like a scalded dog. Having determined that it was 180 deg out, after getting the engine close to TDC, Jeff rewired the cap (from memory), and lifted just the rotating shaft of the distributor, moved that 180 Degrees, and dropped it back into the slot.

First turn over, it fired, and about the third turn over it ran beautifully. After it heated up, and a small distributor adjustment by ear, it's running like a clock!
360.jpeg
Thanks Jeff!

Bud
Bud
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan “Mostly Harmless”
Twin Chrysler 360s RWC
Westerbeke 6.5 KW
Beard’s Creek, South River,
Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Thanks for the praise, but you're not out of the woods yet. We fired her up on an outboard tank and, when we switched over to the starboard tank, she started missing and died a few minutes later, even though Bud had throttled her up. The 'White Gook' strikes again

Damn 'evil-nol' and the politicians who stuck us with that crap. Bud will have to get the tanks pumped out and replaced with fresh gas. I can help with that, having lots of electric pumps (don't ask!) and a few 5 gallon containers. There's at least 15 to 20 gallons in there that will have to come out. Let me know, Bub.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Bud719
Tin star

Post by Bud719 »

Yes, sadly. I tried to add about 10 gallons of hi-test, and blue stuff ( name escapes me - normal gas additive) that was not helpful... SO I asked the yard to have someone pump out the tanks , and add new gas if they can. I am hoping they can do it this week while I am gone...we ‘ll see.

I know I previously put engine store in but I don’t know how many times, and that gas has been in there 2+ years.

Anyway, it’s a pain. When you have a problem or a long job, you may not know how long it will be laid up . Putting the gas maintenance on your list early certainly is a good idea.

Bud
Bud
Twin Chrysler 360s RWC
Westerbeke 6.5 KW
Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Bud719
Tin star

Post by Bud719 »

In case you are wondering, Jeff and I used a fresh 5 gallon supply to get the engine running.
Bud
Twin Chrysler 360s RWC
Westerbeke 6.5 KW
Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Bud: How about an update?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington