Findinging TDC and setting Distrib on rebuilt Engine

Bud719
Tin star

Findinging TDC and setting Distrib on rebuilt Engine

Post by Bud719 »

I haven't asked a question in a number of years -- but here goes.

I have 20 years of experience with Marinette's, and 318/360's. I have torn many down to parade rest.
My current 32' has twin 1989 360's, and I had to replace my STBD engine (long story).
I ordered and obtained a rebuilt 360 long block LH-- they used the Crankshaft from my old engine, but block and heads were rebuilt from other sources by the vendor (with great credentials). The cam shaft is new.

Once I received the Long Block, I reassembled with previous intake manifold (previously tested), recent exhaust man and risers, Prestolite Distributor with mechanical advance, and the previous Chrysler Ignition system. (Also new cap, rotor, wires, plugs). I totally cleaned the distributor and mechanical advance.
I rebuilt the Rochester 4BL Quadrajet carb.

To make a VERY long story short, I am now trying to start the engine. I have tested for good spark (new coil), and good fuel (new pump).

After much issue, I found that I had set the distributor and timing 180 degrees out. I moved the wires to meet the firing order (I did NOT remove and reinstall the distributor).

I am now getting some firing, then much gasoline backfiring through the carb primaries, and the engine STOPS. It never actually starts, even for seconds.

I replaced my rebuilt carb with the carb off my (operational) port engine -- I made NO CHANGES. Absolutely the same result.

So, I don't think it's Fuel or Carburation (Air), and I have good spark.

I think I don't have the distributor positioned correctly, or close to proper timing. Right now, I have the distributor #1 plug position about 180 degrees away from where I remember it physically being with the old LH engine.

I think the problem is distributor position /timing. How best do I set this with an installed engine?

Or -- Anyone a different idea? I am open to All!

I live in Annapolis, and the boat is stuck on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay in Rock Hall, so I want to get it back home ASAP!.

Thanks for any thoughts. I know you are all very smart people!

Bud
Bud
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan “Mostly Harmless”
Twin Chrysler 360s RWC
Westerbeke 6.5 KW
Beard’s Creek, South River,
Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Findinging TDC and setting Distrib on rebuilt Engine

Post by Busia »

Do you understand why you were 180 degrees out? ( you used the timing mark when #1 was on the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke. You fixed it the right way, just move all the wires 180 degrees. Half way around the distributor. ) My guess is you have 2 or more plug wires on the wrong cylinders. I think this is your reverse rotation engine. If so make sure what the firing order is and the rotation of the distributor. Don't use the firing order on the intake manifold. You can make any wire on the distributor #1, what ever lines up and the rotor points to the wire. Not in between two wires. Check all the wires and I bet it will start, then make any fine adjustment on the timing.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."I live in Annapolis, and the boat is stuck on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay in Rock Hall,"

I LIVE in Rock Hall! Want to get together?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Bud719
Tin star

Post by Bud719 »

Thanks Busia, I believe you are correct.

Jeff, That would be great! I am at the old Sailing Emporium.

I hope to be over there on Saturday, if you have time, but I must confer with the War Department, as to my schedule!

Thanks,

Bud
Bud
Twin Chrysler 360s RWC
Westerbeke 6.5 KW
Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Sent you a PM with my phone number. Call me anytime.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Hello. The oil pump drive gear bellow the distributor, How ? / Or did you time it? it has to be timed. You cant just drop it in.
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
Bud719
Tin star

Post by Bud719 »

When I got the engine long block, the timing chain had been aligned. After installing the chain cover, water pump, damper, belt pulley, the intake manifold, flywheel and transmission, I dropped the distributor in, aligning it with the shaft and pump index slot, consistent with it’s prior position on the engine. Using the rotor’s position, I then added the wires to the cap in the LH engine firing order. Then added all the manifolds, electrical, fuel, and carb.

At least that’s what I think I did!

( actually somewhere in the middle, I had the yard install it in the boat and align it.)

Later, using the thumb on #1 plug hole test (catching the compression stroke), I found it to be 180 degrees out, and rewired from the new position of the rotor.
Bud
Twin Chrysler 360s RWC
Westerbeke 6.5 KW
Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

I would bring it up on the compression stroke on # 1. Pull the #1 plug. put a screw driver in the hole. "Buy hand" put a socket on the crank bolt and rock it back and forth to make sure the timing markes on the cover and balancer are at o. Them pull the dist. Look at the pump gear slot. The slot should be straight forward. Or pointing to #1 Cylinder. I have see them both ways. If not turn the pump gear to point straight forward. Then put the dist in with the rotor point forward, start the plug wires from there. Joe
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Bud and I will be working on this Saturday. With his gen-set in between engines it will be a royal pain, but... We'll get her going.

Jeff

PS: John Hall installed his gen-set on the shelf where the batteries go. Neat installation that made life more pleasurable down there! Smart dude!
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Jeff will fix you up. If it was me I would start over. Find tdc then pull and reset your distributor . Then wire it up per the correct firing order (cw or ccw) start up and set the timing.
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.