Mildew removal

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Mildew removal

Post by jralbert »

Yep, your suspicion is correct. Closing the boat super tight sets up mold conditions because there's no air circulation. All the things you describe are going on - heating, cooling, condensation, mold.

I cut a hole for a vent (well, actually, I chickened out and made the yard cut it -- for a fee, of course) and mounted a solar charged vent fan and left it on all winter. There was still mold in damp places (like behind sliding doors and the bilge) but very little. That thing ran for several years, round the clock until the battery needed changing. You could also try to rig sturdy cover over a couple of windows (opposite sides or one fwd, another aft) to set up an air flow but arranged to keep out rain and snow. Should help.

Also in my mix was a mold inhibiting product sold at West Marine. From Star Brite ( https://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-bri ... ecordNum=6 ). I went with that instead of the Damp Rid calcium chloride stuff because once the material is saturated, you have to change it - it does collect a lot of moisture but I don't think it would last long, esp when you have lots of moisture.

Finally, if you have access to AC power, WM sells a small heater/fan unit for $100 that should keep things drier. Good luck
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

I had this issue in the past. This past winter I used these and had zero mold issues...
+ 1 small fan
+ 5 DampRid containers
DampRid.jpeg
+ 1 Air Dry heater place at the galley floor
Attachments
Air Dry.jpg
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
GregM
Tin star

Post by GregM »

I've used hydrogen peroxide for mold cleanup in residential cleaning. Not sure how the works on Teak. Has anyone tried using peroxide? On drywall it disintegrates the mold.
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

The dehumidifier should do a good. I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrument ... way&sr=8-2. No need for drain. Also use a small fan on a timer to circulate the air 4 times a day. I also use KANBERRA GEL Tea Tree gel with great success. Very expensive but it last over a year.
Doesn't take but a few oz per month. https://www.amazon.com/KANBERRA-GEL-Kan ... 44&sr=8-13 Have never (knock on wood :D ) had a mold issue.

:ugeek:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Launched the boat yesterday. Found, during the trip to the summer marina, that I'd missed a few spots.... drawer in galley w/ kitchen utensils...
set of binoculars that had been left on boat over the winter.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.