Engine Temperature spike

JoeGer
Tin star

Re: Engine Temperature spike

Post by JoeGer »

Ok... I disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled the strainer gaskets. Made sure the small tapered o-ring gasket under the strained lid plate was seated and cleaned. Long-story short, both strainers were robustly “boiling” with intake water!! So, I can check that off the list. I will grab my cousin and we’ll have to do a full drive test to make sure the temp issue is resolved. As for start-up, the engine warmed up normally and both stayed nicely between 145-165. Fingers crossed this ends up being an easy fix. But not out of the woods yet. Thx, friends, until next time!
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

So, it was a nice night and was able to take a serious longer ride at various speeds. Regarding my temp issue on STB engine, I did realize some temp spikes, but much less frequent, and still all occurrences at lower speeds (1500rpm or less), and always immediately self-correcting. Furthermore, when it corrects, the temp drops below 160 to approx 140. The whole cycle takes about 15 seconds from the time the temp starts rising, to peak temp (220+) then back to 140. FYI, when cruising 15 knots at 2000rpm, there’s absolutely no issue - temp stuck at 155-165 consistently with no fluctuation. @FastJeff, I did not have the “help” on board to verify the sender unit with the IR gun.. perhaps next time.
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Shame on you!

I suspect your t-stat is sticking and causing those weird temp spikes.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

Hmmm.. just replaced it.
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Another hmmm.... because past posts pasted on the forum said their replacement stat needed replacement, too. the BOOTB syndrome: Bad Out Of The Box. A cheap way to verify would be to swap the stat to the other side (if you don't mind the bit of extra labor).
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

When you replaced it, was the t-stat housing semi-rusted? I had problems with mine (that caused by-pass leakage) and had to make a stainless 'gasket', with the stat riveted to it (and gaskets on both sides). That would not account for high temperature spikes, however. Hummm...

As Joel said, BOoftheB is a possibility.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

Behavior seems indicative of a bum T-stat. And now I’m 2nd guessing whether I did or didn’t put the “new” one in or not. Anything is possible. Time to change it out again, dag-nabbit. Anything for my Big M! :lol:
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Hold on...save yourself some trouble, maybe. Stick it in a pot of hot water and see what happens. Decide whether to replace based on whether it rises to the occasion
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

If you want to ensure you know when you swapped out a t-stat, you could take a file (hardened steel) and scratch the date of change into the t-stat. It's brass (softer metal) and there are plenty of spots where the date could be etched and it won't affect t-stat's functionality.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Joel is spot on again: test that sucker in a pot of boiling water. You can watch it open and close.

Jeff