Shaft Stuffing Box hose size and source.

Lincolncruiser95

Shaft Stuffing Box hose size and source.

Post by Lincolncruiser95 »

Hello all,
New owner of a 1980 Sedan FB and despite exhaustive searches, cannot seem to find a definitive answer on the prop shaft Stuffing Box hose size and source. I would like to have new packing and hose ready prior to jumping in the bilge to swap it all out and was wondering if a boat built in 79-80 shaft log OD is still the ever elusive 1 7/8 OD> I have yet to find an online source of actual 5-6 ply hose in that size ID, but did locate a source for Silicone 4 ply at 1 7/8. I've seen suggestions to use the two inch from Buck Algonquin, soft wall exhaust hose in 1 7/8, and some other suggestions, but I've yet to see any solution that makes me comfortable. Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks in advance for giving a noob some direction.

Also, Packing box stuffing is 1/4" correct?

Just concerned with shaft logs and raw water through hulls this year, rudders will be a concern for the next season and look OK with no noticeable seepage while it was in the wet.
C & K Johnson
1980 32 Sedan
Twin 360's "Pour Choices"
SE Michigan
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Shaft Stuffing Box hose size and source.

Post by Fastjeff »

As Crocodile Dundee said in the movie, "You can eat a snake, but it tastes like s..."

Use can use 1/4 " packing, but it's much easier to use 3/16 packing and add another ring.

Sorry, but I forget what size the stuffing box rubber was. I recall having to buy mine from a specialty hose place, so it's not a "normal" size.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tjcimba

Post by tjcimba »

Hi did this chore a few years ago on my 1990 32' Express.

Look at Buck Algonquin tem # 80ho225.

As i recall, lots of KY Jell (yes) was needed to get packing box with tube onto the shaft housing.
Lincolncruiser95

Thanks for the replies and info, I guess I'm just gonna have to pull one and take it with me to get it sized.
C & K Johnson
1980 32 Sedan
SE Michigan
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

K-Y or use liquid soap as lube, whichever you have.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Lincolncruiser95

TJ,

Thanks for the part number, Are you saying that the hose on your boat was 2.25" ID?
C & K Johnson
1980 32 Sedan
SE Michigan
tjcimba

Post by tjcimba »

Yes on the dimensions ID and OD. When I ordered mine I purchased a one foot section and have a piece left over that I pulled out of storage to give you the measures. i had the boat yard make cuts to my needed length.

You can validate length prior to ordering the 80ho225, or get a one footer and make cuts.

As to lube, the hose is very stiff, unforgiving and the fit is unbelievably tight, I tried soap and after several expletives that go with the effort I asked George the old mechanic in the yard, he laughed and said "use KY is wont harm a thing and you may like the results" it worked. I suppose you could use generic lube, this is not meant to be a product endorsement.

FWIW, I also polished the brass at local plumbing store using his wire wheel before reassembly and have rested confidently ever since. it also looked new and professionally done by little ole me, IMHO.
Lincolncruiser95

Beautiful! Thank you.
C & K Johnson
1980 32 Sedan
SE Michigan
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Can someone clarify stuffing box hose size & length for 1" shaft. Is it 1 1/2" ID or 1 7/8 " ID and 4" or 5" long?
Thanks, Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Not sure on the diameter, but you can buy an extra long hose and cut it to size.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington