Bottom touch up opinions

cantolina

Bottom touch up opinions

Post by cantolina »

My 32 is sitting on land right now, newly purchased. I was originally going to just hit the hull with SS wire brush, sand/prime the spots that are bare (not a lot of spots, but some). And rollover 3 or 4 coats with the paint the PO used. It surely needs to be stripped/done clean soon, but not until I get her home. I have found that Trilux is no longer available in the red on it now. It does come in black, which might be the color I use when I redo the entire hull.

I'm looking for opinions on what will protect the hull for the next season, before I launch and drive home.

Thoughts? What would you do, assuming a complete redo is out of the question right now. (several reasons)

-
Chuck
32' Sedan FB
Venture II
Port Colborne, ONT
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Bottom touch up opinions

Post by jralbert »

A couple of items
-I always put a different color on top so it acts as a signal coat. When the top coat wears, you can see the spot immediately.
-I just wanted to be sure that once you sand a spot you get on at least the primer spot within a few hours, not the next day - aluminum skins over (oxidizes) quite rapidly.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
cantolina

Post by cantolina »

jralbert wrote:A couple of items
-I always put a different color on top so it acts as a signal coat. When the top coat wears, you can see the spot immediately.
-I just wanted to be sure that once you sand a spot you get on at least the primer spot within a few hours, not the next day - aluminum skins over (oxidizes) quite rapidly.
Thanks, Joel. I did think the new color over the top was a good idea for the same reason, but I'll be stripping and repainting fresh next year, so that's not really a thing right now.

I am aware of aluminum oxidation rates. Thanks for the reminder, tho.
Chuck
32' Sedan FB
Venture II
Port Colborne, ONT
jennis9
Tin star

Post by jennis9 »

I’d use a green scuff pad instead of the wire brush.
Are you on the Facebook group as well?
FINALLY GOT IT!
1986 Marinette Express 32
w/twin Chrysler 318s
Located on Lake Erie
FCYC, Cleveland, OH