Crushed Spark Plug!

Skipper3
New poster

Crushed Spark Plug!

Post by Skipper3 »

Trying to resurrect my 28 Fisherman. Changing plugs out I discovered the spark plug in cylinder #5 of the Starboard engine the end of the plug pushed in and has broken the porcelain. I fear the worst, spun bearing, broken and loose ring et cetera. Who has encountered this? When I place my finger over the plug hole and crank I still have pressure. I fear a rebuild or repower may be in need....Aaargh :roll:
Skipper3
New poster

Re: Crushed Spark Plug!

Post by Skipper3 »

FYI Here is a pic, albeit a bad one.
Attachments
IMG_20190503_231045.jpg
Skipper3
New poster

Post by Skipper3 »

Better pics
Attachments
Screenshot_20190503-233057_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190503-233124_Gallery.jpg
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Looks like someone dropped it or it is the wrong plug. Is it the same as the others? Have had stuff dropped down the carb that caused bad plugs. I would make sure it is the correct plug and put a new one in.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Does it rod knock?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Skipper3
New poster

Post by Skipper3 »

Ran it for a few minutes last fall to winterize but haven't had it up and running since. I hear a slight clunk when I turn it over but that may be coming from a bad tooth I have on the starter (replacement on the way).
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Got my fingers crossed for you.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jeboniface
Tin star

Post by jeboniface »

Flexible bore scopes are pretty cheap now a days. There are also cameras with UBS plugs for a lap top. If a ring broke I think you would be able see a defect In the outer edge of the piston.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

On second (or was it third?) thought, I'm hoping it got dropped and damaged before insertion. It happens. Also, I'm thinking the piston (with a wreck con rod bearing) couldn't come up far enough to smack it. Got my fingers crossed.

My buddy Harold once 'helped' me install plugs in my old Pontiac. Somehow he destroyed most of them in doing so and the poor thing would barely run.

Jeff