Water out of spark plugs hole.

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Water out of spark plugs hole.

Post by bill »

BigM
Oops :roll: Me Bad. :oops:
I should have said the easy access to the flywheel and some times the timing mark was under the rubber flapper on top of the bell housing. :o
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Bill, no worries it all worked out. I will say I am sore from head to toe still. I could only get 2 tooth at a time and I turned them both over 2 complete times. It took many hours especially with port still fighting me. I did a compression check of the port engine which is the one that had a little liquid come out of the sparkplug hole when I removed it. I forgot to tell my assistant to open the throttles so I'm not certain the readings were 100% but the inside bank(nearest generator) we're all between 125psi and 120psi on a cold engine. The outside bank read 150 on the cylinder all the way forward then the middle 2 were 90psi and 65psi the rear was 125psi. I'm maybe thinking a blown head gasket between the cyliders? Not sure yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Looks like you will need to pull the head to find out if is valves , gasket or cracked head. No too hard a job.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

A compression test like that means very little. You have to run it first to warm it up, check it while hot and then you still don't know where a leak is if you have one. A differential pressure test will tell you a lot more. There you blow air into the cylinder and see how much it holds, and where it is leaking from.
On your engines, I would put fresh plugs, oil, and gas to them and run them. If you have a miss, then I would go deeper. I don't think you want to spend the time and money to pull them and rebuild them just in case. (you can still have problems even if you do. It's not a 100% guarantee) Do the quick and easy first.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I agree now that I feel like I don't have broken pushrods or stuck rings I'll start working on getting them started. Then see what we have to work with
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

So back to Jeff's original post in this thread about water slipping past the exhaust valve and reading lots of post about exhaust system leaks and rust etc. my 440's are closed cooled but it appears the exhaust are fresh water cooled. My boat was supposedly winterized and all signs point to that as well. Should I inspect the exhaust system before trying to start the engines to see if rust etc could be an issue?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
bpboater
Tin star

Post by bpboater »

I don't think that is necessary. Just try to start the engines with plenty of water available to the strainer or water pump. Water slipping past the exhaust valves is often referred to as reversion. At certain rpm, the exhaust can set up a harmonic where the water from the exhaust can be condensed back into the cylinder. Just run the engines for about 10 minutes at about 1500 rpm to make sure the oil is circulating, then shut off and see if the oil is getting milky from water intrusion. If ok, run this test again after you launch for 30 minutes.
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Yeop, as said above just go ahead and run em. It doesn't take much light corrosion on a valve seat to show low compression or crazy leak down numbers. I know I'll probably catch flack for this, but I've done this many many many times, take a stuck engine and lube the crap out of every part that rubs another part......run it easy for a few cycles....check fluids/systems and then run the piss out of it. After running it hard you will have a good platform to evaluate the true condition of your engines.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I love this theory lol, I just wish the original owner was around to ask questions to. I do not know much about these old engines or the mechanics of engines in general when it comes to why there was a little bit of fluid in the cylinder. All I know was that the engines were rebuilt in 98, new exhaust manifolds were installed then(or rebuilt) i have the receipts on the boat. It was pulled out of the water and parked somewhere around 2008. New impellers just arrived today now gotta grab some plugs and oil and see if we can get her lit.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Pulled the oil out of the engines today. Mr. Port looked like a nice Carmel milky milk shake, as well as the generator but that's another story. STBD was thick and smooth like it should be. So now the question is where and how did this water get into the oil? Exhaust manifold? Head gasket,valves etc? One thing is certain there is lots of water in that there oil.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY