New Boater, Made offer on first Marinette

StuartNewman
New poster

New Boater, Made offer on first Marinette

Post by StuartNewman »

Hello all,
I am new to the forum, though I've been visiting as a guest for almost a year, before a member.This is my first post. I've enjoyed boating off & on as a guest on other's boats over the last 20 years and made the plunge 7 years ago buying my first project boat 7 years ago and another 2 years ago. The last was a cuddy that we bought to give our new grandkids some shade. My wife and I often remarked that being on the water was so relaxing we wished we could stay out for longer if we had a bigger boat. She even started saying she wished we could leave right after work on friday and not tell our 3 kids where we would be to escape their drama and only return Monday to go to work. We were dreaming of something we could stay on comfortably for exended periods. An injury at work, surgery, long recovery, being told my position would be filled ending with the news that medically I can't fill any position for which I had training for has made up our minds that life is short and we had better go after our dreams while I could. Thats where this forum and you all come in.

During my recovery I read every available post and became convinced a Marinette was the boat for us. I have looked at numerous boats showing my wife the best. They were almost all Marinettes. The accomidations and values cemented my feelings aboute Marinette and my wife narrowed it down to an aft cabin. I could'nt find an acceptable one. I found one but it needed too much work. ARGH. Finally I saw a Facebook post about one. When I inquired I was told it was sold but he mentioned he wasn't paid yet. I asked if I could see it. Arangments were made and we drove 31/2 hours to Petwick Lake and found a 1989 37 Marinette Marquis. I made a conditional offer and it has been accepted! Her name is Bushwacker II according to my wife. I was so excited at her conditiion that I failed to remember the name. :lol: I will be making a deposit by Wednesday so if anybody wants to talk me out of it, time is limited.
Stuart
Lake Chickamaugua
Chattanooga, TN
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: New Boater, Made offer on first Marinette

Post by jralbert »

welcome and good luck with the purchase, Stu. I deleted your second post on this topic which, as a new forum denizen, you probably did accidentally.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StuartNewman
New poster

Post by StuartNewman »

Thanks Carl,
I certainly all the advise I can get. After the adventure yesterday, I had a restless night and woke with a feeling of what have I done and now what do I do? I am sure buying a boat is not the same as buying a car from an invidual? Is there a title the owner signs over to me? Do I then go to the clerks office to get it registered? Oh yeah, what marina to use? etc.... so many things to do. I have done one thing though. I got some info from a Captain on Lake Pickwick about taking the boat to Chickamauga Lake. 3 days, $350 plus transportation back.Then a friend in Knoxville, who is a Captain, called and said he would train me while taking boat to Chickamauga at no charge, but we can only go on the weekend due to his day job. He says 24 hours transit time so we can do it with early starts and long days.Then he started asking questions and starting lists...
Stuart
Lake Chickamaugua
Chattanooga, TN
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Your state should have an agency that deals with boat titles. You can probably locate it via google it (as in "Tennessee boat title"). Or start with a query to the Motor Vehicle people who can then direct you. It's not uniform state to state. I also think that in your agreement of sale you should consider adding a line that the buyer warrants he/she has a merchantable title or the sale in null and void. That boat has a vin number stamped on the rub rail that must match the title and if it isn't there, be wary (walk away).
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

All good info. Consider a Boat US membership with the Towing Insurance. If you have a breakdown , Free towing to your marina. I too am at Chickamauga Marina and would welcome you.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Stu,
Welcome aboard!!! You'll find that owning a boat can be a maddening labor of love. Not a negative, just how owning a prize like your Big M can be. You'll work on her, put in hours, and then when all is said and done (and, if you're inclined, a brew in your hand...) slip into the feeling of pride in what you've accomplished. And the epitome of the experience will be cruising with the "Admiral" on your boat!!! There's no other feeling (or maybe you've already realized that with the "disappear on Friday afternoon, return on Monday" scenario. :lol: :lol: .

There is a TON of help here on the site and we'll all be happy to offer help. Enjoy the new (to you) boat!!

Bill n Sharon
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
saltine
New poster

Post by saltine »

It's an exciting & stressful time for sure. I have found people that deal with old iron (or aluminum as the case may be) are good people. I have criss-crossed the land buying stuff sight unseen and sending blind money orders (including my M) and have yet to be screwed. I will have faith in people until proven otherwise.

I figure If it's meant to be it will be, if the deal falls through, it it wasn't for me and another will come along. Best of luck! The "purchase story" is always a good one!