Calcium Chloride, Will it eat my M?

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Calcium Chloride, Will it eat my M?

Post by Fastjeff »

Shower drain water WILL eat the hull badly if allowed to sit in the bilge--one of my friend's boats had that problem--so get it all out of there. (A wet or dry vacuum works well for this.)

Agreed on venting the boat. I never shrink wrapped mine and only had mold in the damn refrigerator for some fool reason. Yes; the door was left open. Go figure.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Calcium Chloride, Will it eat my M?

Post by javalin390 »

Well, here's my thoughts...I have been using "Damp-rid" in my boat for 4 years now (actually 3) I use five of the small containers, strategically placed ( I have a 37' sedan), one in the head, one in the v-birth, two in the galley and one in the salon. during the weekend, while using the boat, I dump out the collected moisture, then close/seal the lids and put them away until the weekend fun is over. Before I leave on Sunday evening I put them back in place. For 3 years, using this method, both in summer AND during winter storage, I never had a mold issue. This past summer I got lazy and didn't tend to my Damp-rid protocol as I did every year before. As you may guess, mold developed, staining some upholstery, fabric and curtains. Lesson learned. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, so I know every square inch of my boat and can state that the chloride is NOT having any corrosive effects on her. Hope this helps.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio