New Boater, New to me Marinette.

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: New Boater, New to me Marinette.

Post by Fastjeff »

You MUST get it moved close to home since you'll be working on it a loooong time. Lots of potential there.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

I am, waiting on transport bids. There's a lot of work and time required, but certainly doable. One bite at a time and in the right sequence!
Bob Cavalcante, SCPO USN (Ret.)
Gel coat is for ladies' fingernails!
1985 32 Fisherman, Twin Crusader 270's. No lead onboard: one Relion 300aH LiFePo4 House batt with one Maxwell Ultracapacitor Engine Start Module to start BOTH engines!
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Bob,
Thanks for the photos. :)
Were you able to get all the parts that the privious owner removed. Glass, wood, floors and etc.......... :shock:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

bill wrote:BigM
Bob,
Thanks for the photos. :)
Were you able to get all the parts that the privious owner removed. Glass, wood, floors and etc.......... :shock:
bill
He says he has it all, but I haven't sighted everything yet. I briefly saw the wood, all the rails and large buckets of things as well as the cushions and fuel tank. He said it's all in the garage.
1985 32 Fisherman, Twin Crusader 270's. No lead onboard: one Relion 300aH LiFePo4 House batt with one Maxwell Ultracapacitor Engine Start Module to start BOTH engines!
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Well, she's all mine, FINALLY! Had her transported last Wednesday to a friend's house where she'll stay while I'm restoring her and I picked up all the other parts/pieces from my friend's garage; cushions, glass, old decking for templates, two props, shaft, strut, rudder, fuel tank, and two bins of parts and pieces!

Now I'm putting my US Navy project management skills to use and planning out the whole project!
Attachments
20190109_140945 (Medium).jpg
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

SWEET! Another Marinette saved! :D . Welcome aboard. We look forward to your post on progress. Lots of great guys here to help. Your signature rocks! Makes me laugh :lol:

BigM :ugeek:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Do you have the metal track for the sliding windows? If you have the plastic it is probably ruined by the UV. So you have to find something. Hard to find the metal, but worth it if you can find it. I would start looking for that so it is not a hold up later. Everything else is just money and man hours. I would not try to make it perfect, just safe and close enough to perfect to suit yourself. Decide on the brand of paint and bottom paint. (no copper! ) How you will apply it. ( I used a roller on a extension handle with a screen in a 5 gallon bucket ) Start ordering parts and putting it back together. Best of luck with it.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Hey everyone. Lot has happened since my last post. I've taken possession of my boat and she's been transported to a friend's house for restoration. I have a page on FB for the restoration and I'd like to invite you all there to follow along and the link is in my signature. I thought about doing a blog or even Instagram but this is the easiest all around. I'll likely start a dedicated new thread here to post restoration updates to keep it simple.

That said, the cabin is completely ripped out and all pieces saved for templates, the helm is in the trash (minus panels and controls, naturally) and the engine cylinders are currently full of 2 quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil for a week now. The Carter AFB has been rebuilt to perfection (just like old times) and I'm about to rebuild the raw water pump and check out the alternator! All the cabin wood cabinetry is in the garage being refinished and updated with new hardware and I'll soon be sending out both propellers (single screw, just came with a spare prop!) for polishing.

Here's a few pics here before I start a new Restoration Thread!
Carter K3-6212 AFB rebuild complete.  Removed all that nasty blue paint!
Carter K3-6212 AFB rebuild complete. Removed all that nasty blue paint!
Cabin stripped ready for cleaning!
Cabin stripped ready for cleaning!
Raw Water Pump ready to rebuild and alternator standing by.  Likely replace with a 95A and keep this as a spare.
Raw Water Pump ready to rebuild and alternator standing by. Likely replace with a 95A and keep this as a spare.
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Busia wrote:Do you have the metal track for the sliding windows? If you have the plastic it is probably ruined by the UV. So you have to find something. Hard to find the metal, but worth it if you can find it. I would start looking for that so it is not a hold up later. Everything else is just money and man hours. I would not try to make it perfect, just safe and close enough to perfect to suit yourself. Decide on the brand of paint and bottom paint. (no copper! ) How you will apply it. ( I used a roller on a extension handle with a screen in a 5 gallon bucket ) Start ordering parts and putting it back together. Best of luck with it.
Hi Busia, All the original plastic track, save one small piece, didn't survive. I bought new aluminum tracks from Tom Althouse at Marinette and it's on standby since I might need to replace my windows anyway.

Thanks, great advice and exactly what I'm doing. The cabin can really be completed after she's back in the water, but I'm trying to work parallel path on a lot of areas. The cabin is stripped, next is deep cleaning and rewiring/replumbing everything forward so I can get cabin decks and bulkheads installed. Cabinetry can come later. This weekend I hope to get a good compression test on the engine to see if I'll need to pull the heads or not. Still might anyway. Wouldn't hurt. Hoping to be wet by the 4th of July!
thepaintman

Post by thepaintman »

Great pics. Love the stripped cabin. Would love the opportunity to clean mine like that. Will keep my OCD in check and stay focused. Could you pass on contact info for Tom Althouse?
69 River Cruiser houseboat
Twin Chrysler 318's
Hydraulic steering both stations
All new wiring ac/DC
New chargers, galv isolator
Running Erie Canal from mile 240.3