MY 1966 26 ft 327 fireball

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: MY 1966 26 ft 327 fireball

Post by Fastjeff »

I repeat my warning on locating exhaust manifolds for those oddball motors BEFORE spending $$$ on it.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

HonestCharlie reminded me about a unique feature of these engines. Question: is your engine flywheel forward or flywheel aft? This difference changes the entire cooling system.

My thought is this; These engines have two thermostats, one for each bank, but only have a temp sensor on one bank of cylinders. That means it is possible to have a T Stat stuck open on the side opposite from the sensor, and not ever know it. Because of the way the cooling system is plumbed, if a T Stat is stuck open, that bank will never get over 100 degrees. That will cause all kinds of strange issues. I would get an IR temp gun and check both sides of the engine. May be surprised what you find.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

With IR guns being so cheap these days, I firmly believe they have earned a spot in every garage and on the boat. Mine is a fluke and was quite expensive, we compared it with the Ryobi version at work and couldn't really find a difference. I'm sure HF's version is just as good too. BUT ANYWAY, if shes actually burning oil through the valve guides due to dried up valve stem seals......then thats actually a great thing. You have guaranteed yourself lubricated valve guides!!!! For Free!!!! Your oil consumption could also be related to stuck rings, again, run the hell out of her for awhile. When I say run the hell out of it, I never mean over the rated RPM. Maybe get a spray bottle that shoots a fine mist and spray alittle water mist down the carb while shes hot and under load......it will help clean that carbon out. Please keep in mind I've never worked on one of these engines.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Hyperjump
Tin star

Post by Hyperjump »

When I first start her up and each time after that ( same day ) she smokes and there is carbon . More carbon on initial start. But runs great after that. I will check thermostat . Also will have valve stem seals checked and check motor rotation . Sure would be nice not to have to spend $$$$$$ on new motor if not needed , but if so , i knew this going into it ( it is a 66 ).. I should know more here in next few weeks. If for some reason I do need motor , is the chevy 350 or chrysler 360 a better fit. I here alot to go with 318 , but if im replacing, why not bigger.
Thanks again for all info.
:D HYPERJUMP :D
1966 26 Ft Express
Saybrook , Ohio
Lake Erie
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

As far as engine choice, you are going to need to know if yours is flywheel forward or flywheel aft, and how much room you have in front of your engine. The flywheel aft models sit further forward and higher in the engine room. They could be replaced with darn near any marine v8 without too much trouble. If you have a flywheel forward model, the engines are further aft and sit lower into the bilge. This will really limit options without some serious work. The only viable option I can think of would be a Q series Chris Craft engine. Hopefully it does not come to that. If you need assistance while you are looking at your engine, pm me and I will get you my phone number. I have a 327 on the run stand in the shop right now that I can reference if needed.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Chrysler or Chevy? I love the LA series, they are great engines. BUT If you are going to repower I would spend some time shopping for a 350, your budget will determine the quality of 350 you want. OK, now onto valve seals. AGAIN, if the valve seals are leaking......who really cares. You have peace of mind knowing your valve guides are nice and wet with oil. If I had to choose between a perfectly sealed valve stem seal with no smoke and no valve seals at all......I would choose smoke and no valve seals. If it makes you feel better, I would have no problem building a motor without the use of valve stem seals, especially if I had new guides. Also, every single boat in my marina smokes! Again, if that engine is running good....go have some fun with her.

So how much smoke are we talking. Would you mind taking some videos and posting them? If its enough smoke to really cause concern or misery.....we don't blame you for wanting to fix it.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
tjc7t7

Post by tjc7t7 »

Hey hyperjump! Nice pics! I also love in North East Ohio. Jefferson to be exact but I keep my M docked at brockways in ashtabula. I have a friend who is an engine builder who would be able to help you out with those heads if you decide you need it. Its nice to have a fellow member so close. I'm no expert but if you ever need anything just send me a message and I will do my best.
1984 28 Express hardtop single 318. Lake Erie Jefferson Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Chrysler or Chevy for a replacement engine. Normally, one would go with Chevy--far more popular and easy to get parts for. But the Chrysler long blocks are actually cheaper.

Six of one, a half dozen of the other...

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Hyperjump
Tin star

Post by Hyperjump »

honestcharlie56. sorry for delay. Bin moving. I will be posting pics and videos as soon as i get boat out of storage in next 2 weeks.
:D HYPERJUMP :D
1966 26 Ft Express
Saybrook , Ohio
Lake Erie
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

I got no advice but I just like your boat !!!
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.