No power to some instruments on dash

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
nascarjonb
Tin star

No power to some instruments on dash

Post by nascarjonb »

Hello fellow BigM Lovers!
I took my first ride in my new to me 1986 marionette 28 sport fisherman with cabin and fly bridge on Sunday. I found out that the depth finder, horn, blower motor, and syncronisor screen were not working. I am a Automotive Technician so Im very familiar with how 12 volt DC works so I tore into the switch panel and I found that there were a few orange wires that feed power to the switch bank. The one orange wire that feeds power to all of those non working electronics does not have any voltage so i must assume i have a open in the circuit. I temporarily jumped from another wire that feeds both bilge pump switches and the lorance GPS. I found that this worked to get everything working for the weekend. I have looked all over this boat and I am unable to find a fuse box. I found one breaker on the fly brige for all of the instruments but it was fine. I cant find wear this wire originates from. on the power distribution panel there are not any orange wires, and also the wire disappears behind the dash to the starboard side.

My question is should I make a permanent jump from that circuit that is working, does anyone know wear I can find this wire originates so i can fix it, or should I run a new wire??

If i should run a new wire wear do they run the wires up to the bridge and should I run from the battery?
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio
Rob
Tin star

Re: No power to some instruments on dash

Post by Rob »

Look in the head. The mirror/medicine cabinet might swing open and the fuse box might be there. It was on my older than your model. My head was in front of the helm starboard side.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Were you able to resolves this issue? I also dock in Marblehead, and am also a mechanic by trade. Let me know, as I am up there getting mine ready for launch soon.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
nascarjonb
Tin star

Post by nascarjonb »

Jim
I will be at matblehead tonight and I'm going to mess with it in the morning. Are you going to be up all weekend?
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I will be up there most of Saturday putting my engines back together. I dock at Lakevue. Check your private messages under your user name, I will leave my cell number there. Jim
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
nascarjonb
Tin star

Post by nascarjonb »

Thanks for the offer of help but I figured it out. It turns out that what I thought were toggle switches were mis labeled in the engine bay and they are breakers. I discovered this after taking the panel completely apart. I found that one of the mislabeled switches was a 30 amp breaker and had power on one side and non on the other even with the breaker switched on. I jumped power over and found everything came to life!!
I replaced that breaker with a Napa 30 amp push buttons breaker and everything works great.
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Awesome. I've found that some self re-setting breakers, over time, just simply wear out and cannot bring themselves to re-set.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

I have switches beside those breakers in my engine room mounted just above the batteries and and am forever bumping on off and loosing power to stuff and having to go into thinking cap mode :)
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

"When in doubt, look for a bad ground."

Good advice!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
nascarjonb
Tin star

Post by nascarjonb »

Thanks for all the advice... I think I am going to replace the whole panel with updated push in breakers and a fresh piece of teak some time this summer... but I have other projects that come first before preventative stuff...
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio