Depth Sounder dooh!

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Depth Sounder dooh!

Post by barkleydave »

Well the marina did a great job on the bottom job.... but not so great on a depth sounder exchange.

Here is the deal:

I had an New in Box Lowrance depth sounder round for dash mount. I have had it for 20 years new in the box. It has the Gray connector.

Have an old Lowarnace LMS 350 on main helm a beast which has lost most it functions.

Ask them to install my NOS sounder in the dash in place of the gas gauge ( I use a direct read on the tank).

OK... no problem.. WRONG!!!

I also have a Standard Horizon DS30 on the FB it was working great.

1. They installed my NOS in dash no problem.
2. They removed old transducer 000PS THEY REMOVED THE WRONG TRANSDUCER!!!!! cut the cable at the transom outside and it was the transducer for the Standard Horizon!

All they had to do was connect the existing cable to the new replacement and they would have been done!

Unable to find a mix match cable for the Standard Horizon which is no longer in production years ago.

I am now searching for a Eagle or Lowarance (same company) head which uses the Lowrance Gray connector to replace the Standard Horizon.

Other than trying to splice the Standard Horizon to the new/old transducer I would rather just replace the Standard Horizon with a Lowrance that uses the Gray connectors. (not the gray with the blue ring)

Always something!

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Depth Sounder dooh!

Post by yooper »

Start your reseach at http://www.airmar.com. The make most of the transducers for the depth gauge OEM's. They used to publish a cross reference of gauges to their transducer models. I recall that cutting the cable is a no-no. The way that the gauge companies lock in their customers is by simply varying the plug type to their standard airmar transducers. I got a real nice rig - dual guages daisy chained to a single through hull transducer which I had to special order from the OEM.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Check the Navico. Used to be LEI Extras. They have xducers and units. Might have to call them for specific details. They are re working the website.

http://store.navico.com/

Agreed with Yoop, do NOT cut cable. Get new and do it right, imo.

-GB
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Real simple fix. ( and yes, you can't splice the cables ) Decide what brand you want that is available. Order a model equal to what you had. They pay for it. They made the mistake, they pay for it. If you want a model that is not equal, you should pay for the extra amount. A good yard will cover their mistakes. Always have the option of small claims court if you have to. Might make them think twice about trying to do work that they are not qualified to do. Good luck
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Do check Airmar. Their lists of transducers is quite long and you may find a fix. And, I think I've read that these cables can be CAREFULLY spliced (but that's not recommended). But having the yard that cut the wrong cable provide a replacement is only fair. You shouldn't be making work-arounds.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Since it is a very simple sounder depth online I carefully spliced and it works. Airmar had no solution since the coax was hard wired.

Thanks for input

Dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain