Ignition System Components & Locations

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Ignition System Components & Locations

Post by Busia »

I would recommend you get a Motors manual from your library or go to Napa or other auto parts store for a handout of the electrical and ignition systems. It will be the same as a Dodge truck for the same year. Don't forget that it is common to have previous owners and so called mechanics mess things up so you have to fix their mistakes too. Don't ever disconnect the battery while the engine is running. That will destroy the voltage regulator. __ Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Can anyone tell me where the voltage regulator SHOULD be located? I had one before the coil but I can't find a regulator or relay between the Alternator and the Battery. Even with the new alternator, it doesn't seem like the battery is getting charged (new batteries hover at 11.79vdc while running at 1500rpm)
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

It should be attached to that metal thingee where the relays and oil pressure sensor is attached...unless someone already removed it to install one wire alternators (as on mine. Never saw the old regulators.)

I'd recommend going to a one wire alternator. A good rebuilder can convert your alternator for you, and you only need a 'hot' wire to the battery for it to work.

Jeff

PS: If you already have a one wire, it's either not kicking in (too low rpms) or not working.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Took your advice from another post and did the switch to the one wire last week. Its a beast of an alternator.

I found out last night with a buddy driving that the breaker is blown but the engine still runs. It just isolates the battery. Tested it today and it looks like the breaker pops as soon as the alternator starts giving juice. That's why I was never getting a charge at my battery.

I called a company in TN called "woody's restoration" to talk to their 318 guy and he told me there would be an "Ice Cube" looking thing there but it wasn't. I can't find the 50amp breaker that should be on that side either. The LM318 manual says it should be there.

With the ignition off, the run from the battery terminal to the breaker is clean and no ground faults. I guess we have a different circuit when its running... I'm trying to figure out how to shoot that wire leg again while its running because it is likely disconnected but I have to think disconnecting the pos terminals will kill the engine.
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Like a fool I installed a 100 amp alternator on one of my engines--and it popped that 50 amp breaker on a regular basis. To solve that screw up, I purchase one of these sealed metal 'box' circuit breakers and installed it in parallel with the stock unit. No problems for about 7 years.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Jeff, did you change to heavier wire for the larger alternator?

BigM
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Yeah, its a 78 amp one.. Only difference now is that it pops the breaker quicker and can keep running afterwards :)

Where is that 50 amp one located?

Has anyone ever heard of a starter solenoid shorting out after start?

I'm going to rewire the damn thing
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."Jeff, did you change to heavier wire for the larger alternator? "

No, and I got away with it!

Jeff
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

LM318 manual - full - free download

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Download ... Manual.pdf

Has all the engine specs and wiring diagrams.
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."Where is that 50 amp one located? "

On mine, it's at the distributor area, with the red pop up button. (The 25 amp is the dash power breaker.)

Jeff