How do you make coffee at anchor?

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

How do you make coffee at anchor?

Post by ericinga »

We fire up the generator and brew a pot or two.

We still have the original alcohol range top. I haven't found alcohol to fill the tank. Besides, the alcohol flame is colorless and odorless.

We've talked about buying an inverter or 12v coffee maker.

How does everyone else make coffee at anchor?
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Re: How do you make coffee at anchor?

Post by Rockxx »

When I finally get to pull my boat home next week I intend to fire up the Honda 2000 when needed. I found on U-tube were someone had actually tested different alcohols and found that the Heet Brand fuel additive produced a boil in the shortest time. Still took about 9 minutes. I also have the original alcohol stove on my boat and being totally unfamiliar with these, started looking for information. I'm going to give it a try as comes in small containers and should be easy to store.
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I have an inverter and can link in up to four batteries for an overnight stay--and I often need ALL of them to make coffee in the morning. (I run a TV and VCR. light, and the refrigerator now and then--just enough to keep things cold.) THe power of a battery--as electrioc car ownersw have discovered to their horror--is amazingly little.

Here's what I'd do: Buy one of those 90 buck 2 stroke gen sets sold by Harbor Freight and rig up a cord to it. They are a fabulous deal for the $$ and can run the 'fridge, lights and the coffee maker all at once. And a gallon of gas runs it for for hours. Just be sure to keep it on the swim platform while it's running, to prevent CO fume problems.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

I have heard good things about these generators from a relative. Half the price of a Honda and has a 30 amp plug. Buy 2 and run in parallel for more power. I plan on getting one this season.http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200623983
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Hydraulic Steering (both helms)
Autopilot (both helms)
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I keep it simple on the hook.. I dumped the old Kenyon Electric Stove years ago. Also hated the pressurized Kenyon stoves.

I purchased an Orion Alcohol stove 10 years ago and never looked back. Fit in the cutout with very little modification. It uses denatured alcohol that you can buy at any big box store or local hardware store. Two burners and two large alcohol containers with what looks like cotton inside them. Each container holds approx. 1 quart of alcohol. A rubberized pad sits on top with not in use so it does not evaporate.

Works fantastic. Plenty of heat for my old Percolator coffee pot. Fuel last a long time! I fill once a season and cook breakfast etc on it.

Fire hazard..... minimal non pressurized system... no moving parts and a splash of water and an alcohol fire is out. By the way stove sits next to sink so water is close !

Have a cup of Joe... on me :)

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

2 years ago our genny went out, or so we thot... We make an annual trip downriver from Cincy and because we needed electric, we took a standard genny with us, with the intent of running it off the swim platform. To get the power from the genny to the rest of the boat, I made up a 120v 12 gauge Male to Male cord. Installed a water proof outlet on the starboard side of the cockpit and using 12-3 marine cable tied that line to the last outlet in the starboard AC feed. If needed I'd have most of the important AC features powered by that genny.

Oh, and the 1st line's "so we thot..." . Durn boat genny worked the entire trip. It finally gave up the ghost at the start of last season necessitating the purchase of another genny... (and a lot more stories surrounding that! ;-) )
Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Jeepowell

Post by Jeepowell »

Make the coffee the day before? I use a Nissan Vacuum Thermos, it will keep coffee hot for 12 hours plus, just wake up and pour.
37' Marinette
360s
Aurora IN
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

The alcohol in the paint dept at Menards has good for stoves written on the container. Its not rocket fuel.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

One other way... I have a 3/16" piece of stainless plate that I cut a 6" hole out. I use that on our railing mounted grill to concentrate heat to. It'll get a coffee pot percolating in no time. The other sections of the plate get plenty hot and it's a good way to cook breakfast plus keep things piping hot till serving time.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
rivers80
New poster

Post by rivers80 »

We bought a single burner butane stove, it's very compact and extremely useful. Then we got ahold of an old stile coffee perculator.
There's nothing like fresh perked coffee when you're on the hook