Trim tab repair or replacement and upgrade

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
RiverRatt

Trim tab repair or replacement and upgrade

Post by RiverRatt »

Last season I noticed that one of the trim tab are bleeding off. It is not leaking externally. I think it is one of the solenoid valve in the pump. I have not had time to do any diagnosis yet.
I have three choices.
1 Cheapest just replace the solenoid valve on the old pump. ~$50
2 Replace the pump assembly ~$260
3 Retrofit to the Lenco style. ~$316 plus second switch.
Lenco replacement is interesting because it replaces all the components 30+ year old system. But then why change something that has lasted for so may years????

Anyone have Lenco actuators on their Marinette ? If so how do they compair?

Has anyone increased the size of their trim tab planes? (32 FB Sedan with the passingers sitting on the back deck give the tabs a workout)

RiverRatt
Bauxite Lady
32' FB Sedan
318 Chryslers

26' Express
Ohio River Mile 498
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Trim tab repair or replacement and upgrade

Post by Fastjeff »

I used a Lenco on my dink boat and one of them crapped out on me. Took it apart to see why it failed and was stunned at how flimsy the mechanism is: A tiny, 1/8 to 3/16 inch ball bearing is what moves the jack screw--that's all!

I'd stay with the Bennett system. Mine are 30 years old and still work fine.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

Every year I check the function of my original Bennett trim tabs and they work fine. Trouble is I can't figure out how to work them. A few waves and I couldn't adjust them if you held a gun on me. I really need an angle indicator. Anyone installed these?
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

Every year I check the function of my original Bennett trim tabs and they work fine. Trouble is I can't figure out how to work them. A few waves and I couldn't adjust them if you held a gun on me. I really need an angle indicator. Anyone installed these?