low voltage on dash gauge

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
cjpd5430
New poster

low voltage on dash gauge

Post by cjpd5430 »

I have a 1983 28 Express with a Chrysler 360 in it. Recently the voltage gauge has been reading between 10 & 11 volts at idle and 11& 12 volts at 2000 rpm. I figured bad alternator so I pulled it and took it to Lakeland Auto & Marine in Port Clinton Ohio. They have a very good reputation with these. The alternator checked out fine on the bench. After speaking with Bruce their alternator man he though it might be a bad voltage regulator. I bought a new one and installed it. No change. Unfortunately they are closed for the day. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?
Quality Time
1983 28 Hardtop Express
360 Chrysler
Point Yacht Club / Cedar Point Marina
Lake Erie & SanduskyBay
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: low voltage on dash gauge

Post by Fastjeff »

Bad connections (grounds especially) at the panel.

Jeff

PS: After receiving some damn good advise from my buddy John, I replaced BOTH of the stock ignition toggles with normal ignition switches. MUCH better!
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

You could test what voltage is going to the battery. :idea: Use your multi meter black lead on -battery terminal and red lead on +battery terminal. 8-) Set to DC volts :geek:
Bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
cjpd5430
New poster

Post by cjpd5430 »

Big thanks to Nate on the Facebook page who put me in touch with a mechanic friend of his in Sandusky. I called him and he actually answered the phone that evening and helped me over the phone. After some testing I was able to get it going. Not quite sure how to explain it but basically with the new regulator I had to jump around it to get the field in the alternator up so it would charge. After jumping around it once it's now working great. Final verdict originally bum voltage regulator. Then a jump around to get the system back up the first time. Again big thanks to Nate and his friend Joe. Thanks to Jeff and Bill for their suggestions too.
Quality Time
1983 28 Hardtop Express
360 Chrysler
Point Yacht Club / Cedar Point Marina
Lake Erie & SanduskyBay
kgrove70074
Tin star

Post by kgrove70074 »

Had the same problem with my 1 wire alternator. It checked out fine on a bench test but I was not getting over 12.4 volts back to batteries with engine running at 2000rpm. After testing back the wires I found out my 50 amp circuit breaker was tripped and not allowing voltage from batteries back to alternater to start to charge. Reset the circuit breaker and I am now charging at the batteries 14.4 volts. Will replace the circuit breaker soon as it is not in good shape. Did not realize the charging system went through this breaker until I checked the voltage through the wire from my alternator and back to battery. The circuit breaker was allowing a small current to get through but not enough to to excite the alternator. Breaker has not retripped yet so I am hoping I have no other problems.
1980 28' FB sedan single engine 360 1.5 reduction drive trans