Wiring question...

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Robl

Wiring question...

Post by Robl »

In process of rewiring my 28' sportsman, previous owner had made a mess of it. I removed everything aftermarket and got it back to a factory harness. I'm now going to start to wire all of my electronics. I ran a separate 4 gauge power and ground to the helm with a distribution block for each going directly to the house battery bank. The previous owner had grounded everything to the white strips, I assumed they where bonding wires and this was incorrect but I'm not sure. Will I be OK grounding all of my electronics, including the bilge pump etc to my new ground distribution block or was he correct with how he had them wired? If the boat isn't bonded and the white wires are just grounds then I'll use my new distribution block.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Wiring question...

Post by GB49 »

Can you elaborate on the "white strips". Are these strips directly connected to the hull?

Long story short, only negative hull contact should be where the negative battery wires connect to the hull in engine room. You might also find other wires connected to the hull at those 2 points but the idea is to keep all negative connections to the hull at only a couple of points. Don't want to create a spider web of circuits throughout the hull.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Robl

Post by Robl »

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, the white wires that run throughout the boat and connect on copper junctions. I assumed they were bonding wires however it appears they might just be common grounding locations.
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Robi,
"White wires running throughout the boat & connecting to copper strips" You haven't said if these copper strip are grounded to the hull. They should NOT be. The ground (negative connection) should only be in one or two places, ( one near each engine if twins) or only one place to hull with a single engine. If white wires are connected to the hull in multiple spots, there is the possibility of stray current through the hull.

Hope this is helpful,
Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Proceed with caution. ABYC standard: DC: Black Ground AC : White Common AC: Green Safety Ground

safe and frozen

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Robl

Post by Robl »

They are only connected to the hull at the same place the batteries connect, there are only 2 points grounded. The white threw me, the boat doesn't have shore power at all, they are grounds. I'm going to leave them alone and ground all of my electronics and the bilge pumps on my new junction block which will be grounded to the same central ground as the white wires and the batteries. I guess that's what I needed clarification on, everything needs to ground to the same spot on the hull.
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

NONE of your Ground wiring should be tied(bonded) to the Hull ! White wiring in your DC circuits are grounds (-12 volt) Red and Orange are +12 volt DC Mains. This has been true on my 86 and my current 91 model. Both of these boats have Ground wiring only to the Engines and are sometimes called "above ground or Floating" My Engines are mounted on nylon Motor Mounts, and my Prop shafts have plastic Isolators at the Transmission Flange. Your Copper Strips are terminal strips or sometimes called Ground Blocks and should be mounted on plywood or plastic back boards.
There is NO electrical connection to the hull at all. Even Bilge pump wiring and splices need to be out of bilge water.Check after market equipment such as Stereo's, Depth Sounder's, VHF Radio's, etc. Also check VHF antenna and mounts which I've seen grounded to Flybridge'
I've also seen CO2 Sensors and Gas Flow Sensors grounded to the Hull. All this can cause Electrolysis problems.
Try to obtain a copy of the original Owner Manual with the Wiring Diagram. Remember the AC Circuits use a different Color Code,Black is Hot, White is Neutral and Green is Ground. Mistakes with AC wiring can kill swimmers ! Be SAFE and stay with the ABCY Guidelines.
Marty
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River
RustyBoat
Tin star

Post by RustyBoat »

So my project boat hasnt been started in years and was only hooked to a battery charger the whole time while in the water. I have some electrolysis pitting near the corners of the transom where the paint has little Volcano looking cracks. I know I need to repair and repaint the bottom properly before putting her back in the water but is this due to a combination of bad paint and faulty wiring or one of the two? looks like over the years the boat was painted over and over each coat instead of starting over........its black now but I can see that it was once blue.......and even red under.
1968 32' Fisherman
beginning restoration fall of 2014

Lake Sidney Lanier
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

Leave the Battery Bus Switch off or turn off all breakers/switches that aren't needed. Or how much wiring can be taken out of the entire Circuit of the boat. You probably want to leave your Bilge pump on since your in the water.
Some boaters have been known to paint the bottom different colors each time they come out of the water in order to monitor the paint layers wear. Interlux at one time suggested this when using the Trilux 33 product.
Marty
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River