32 Sedan Adding Air Conditioning

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 32 Sedan Adding Air Conditioning

Post by GB49 »

Bryank97 wrote:I was planning on installing my unit in the dinette. Either in the section closest to the stern, or the closest to the window. whichever would fit more practically. Hate to give up too much storage, but i think its a worthy trade.

Good tip on the vents, I get concerned with the salon. Thats a lot of glass to attract heat, probably wouldn't hurt to have two vents up there

Your correct to be concerned about cooling the salon. Its a giant greenhouse in the summer.
If I had to do it all over I would try for 2 vents or make the single main vent more central. The lower part of the boat is noticeably easier to cool.
I also replaced the front window curtains with white material on the inside with metallic ironing board material on the outside. Really helps keep the heat out. I should have add that reflective material to the rest of the curtains in the salon.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Bryank97 wrote:Did you have a single 30 amp cord? or 2- 30 amp cords?
We had two 30 amp feeds. Boat was equipped that way but I can't say whether it was from factory or dealer. I was second owner. Ii suspect that one line served AC and the other hot water/stove. Interior lighting was minor draw, not sure which ckt served those and various receptacles. My marina was wired for 30 amp service and would have required special install - my cost - for 50 amp
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. I am sure once I spend more time with the boat I will get a better handle on where to place the vents, and how much amperage I typically draw.

I am going to put my thru hull in for the ac before the boat launches in the spring. Fingers crossed for an early spring.
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Take a look at something like this for the water output.
https://dripperguard.com/
I stuffed a short piece of clear vinyl hose into the thru-hull as an extension to keep water away from hull. The water will drip down hull and stain the heck out of the paint. Can not get the mineral buildup off no matter what you use. Tried vinegar, lime-away etc.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

That is an interesting product i have never seen it before.
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
CapnGary
Tin star

Post by CapnGary »

My 1986 32'FB sounds similar. It has the CruiseAir AC under the dinette seat towards the stern, with snaked vents to the main cabin above the stove, and one in the bedroom over the closet thing. Circulating pump is under kitchen floor. AC pan drains to a small pan which is shared by the shower drain, which has a bilge pump and float switch on it. It took me a long time figure that system out. Some floor sections to the bow end of the kitchen floor need to be removed to get to that pan and bilge pump.

I recently removed the 6.5KW Onan, as it was way too difficult to service, and it kept breaking on me. Now the space to get down and work on the 2 318's makes life a LOT easier. Working on the motors with a big generator in the bilge was awful to me.

I plan on going to the Honda generator route, if conditions are bad enough to need the AC. I already have 1, and a second will be needed if I run the AC while on anchor. Plugged in to shore power, I agree with the other folks, the 30A is enough, which is all I have The boat has a 50 socket which is not wired in. I don't run more than 2 major things at once. Thanks to past poster who suggested cleaning socket and connections. I will do that soon.

I also added a under $100 1100W inverter to the boat, and wired it to the GenSet switch. While running the boat, I can power the 110V frig, and other small devises. At night, I can run lights, 110V TV, stereo, a small fan, and frig on the inverter without needing extra power. Then in the morning, I either run the generator for a short while to power the battery charger, or just let the boat engines recharge them. If I use the electric stove, I run the generator. But I also carry a small butane portable burner which is great to heat coffee water, cook some eggs or hash, or anything else, if at anchor.

An upgraded charging diverter really helps with this system, using 2 batteries for the accessories.
KISS Keep it simple, stupid, has been my motto.

my 2 cents.
good thread guys,
Capn Gary
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

Capn Gary,

Thanks for the help, as you described with the placement of the Air Conditioning is how i plan to set mine up. The only other thing i considered was, IF there was enough room, maybe mount the ac unit in the section of the dinette closest to the windows, the long bench part. I figure sacrificing storage back there isnt as big of a deal, as that is probably a pain to get to anyways.

The only other thing that puzzles me on these 32s, there is another 32 at my parents marina. It has twins and an Onan Generator. Assuming it is factory, but I do not know for sure. I do not know where the exhaust exits for the generator!
At the transom it has 2 for the engines, and 1 in the center? The one in the center looks small, maybe bilge pump? Where did your Onan exhaust Exit?
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

I put my A/C under the dinette seat. Like it there ,t was originally in the engine compartment in front of the port engine. My gen exhaust ties into my starboard engine exhaust before it exits the boat.
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Bryank97 wrote: I do not know where the exhaust exits for the generator! At the transom it has 2 for the engines, and 1 in the center? The one in the center looks small, maybe bilge pump? Where did your Onan exhaust Exit?
The one at the center is probably - or was designed for - the genset exhaust. That's where it was on my '88 32' FBS
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

jralbert wrote:
Bryank97 wrote: I do not know where the exhaust exits for the generator! At the transom it has 2 for the engines, and 1 in the center? The one in the center looks small, maybe bilge pump? Where did your Onan exhaust Exit?
The one at the center is probably - or was designed for - the genset exhaust. That's where it was on my '88 32' FBS

After thinking about it, it must have been for the generator. As the bilge pump exits the port side. And i believe the only other bilge pump was in the forward cabin. Thanks for the info
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP