Help identifying what this is? Maybe transducer?

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Studini
Tin star

Help identifying what this is? Maybe transducer?

Post by Studini »

Does anyone know what this is? It's located right behind the aft bilge pump. I assume it's a transducer of some sort and if so does anyone know of an adapter to hook to a hummingbird Helix 5 fish finder?? 89' 32' Fisherman
Attachments
88CF08AA-7BF8-4A5C-BDBD-2D16B0CCF8F4.jpeg
0D8F3EF9-8D54-478C-AADA-2A5334811FD2.jpeg
40FD5510-5CD5-4230-8D2C-20B6C052C1A0.jpeg
88 32’ Fisherman
“Get Busy Livin”
Twin 360’s
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Help identifying what this is? Maybe transducer?

Post by jralbert »

Sure looks like a transducer for a depth finder/fish finder. Hate to ask this but have you not looked at this spot under the boat when it's out of the water? Also, I don't think you'll find an "adaptor". If I get your question correctly, are you asking whether you can adapt what is in place now to the model you cite. Assume there is such a thing, you'd have to know what that Hummingbird model requires and what is currently in place.

The major company making transducers is Airmar. They (and maybe they list it publicly on their web site) can tell you what works with what. You would be surprised (maybe not) at the wide variety of xducers made.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Studini
Tin star

Post by Studini »

jralbert wrote:Sure looks like a transducer for a depth finder/fish finder. Hate to ask this but have you not looked at this spot under the boat when it's out of the water? Also, I don't think you'll find an "adaptor". If I get your question correctly, are you asking whether you can adapt what is in place now to the model you cite. Assume there is such a thing, you'd have to know what that Hummingbird model requires and what is currently in place.

The major company making transducers is Airmar. They (and maybe they list it publicly on their web site) can tell you what works with what. You would be surprised (maybe not) at the wide variety of xducers made.
Yes I noticed it under the boat this spring, looks like a transducer to me. I guess my real question is can I use it? It's not hooked up and I'd like to add a new fish finder and not have to mess with replaceing it through the hull. I'll do some research on the Airmar site. Was hoping someone could provide me a name brand of this particular one.
88 32’ Fisherman
“Get Busy Livin”
Twin 360’s
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Bad (ish) news: Unlikely that the current xducer will work with the Helix thing unless you know what xducer it is and then confirm with Airmar about compatibility. (If you know what device the current xducer was serving, you'd likely know the xducer you have without having to haul)

Good news: you already have a hole in the hull and won't have to drill a new one for the Helix or any other model. Some xducers are transom mounted and don't need a hole under the hull, as you know but the readings, while OK, are sometimes not quite as accurate because of water turbulence. That was my experience. But the transom units are popular and do work well almost all the time.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD