Shore Cord Check

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Shore Cord Check

Post by GB49 »

Just a reminder to check your shore cord sockets and plugs at both ends and any couplers in between.
I just replaced a socket & wire from helm AC main to the socket on side of boat.
There was char on the inside wall panel from the socket melting.
This happened on a Marinette.

I spray all connections with Rid Ox at beginning of each season.

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Shore Cord Check

Post by Fastjeff »

NOTE: You MUST turn OFF the main power switch at either the boat or at the dock BEFORE pulling the plug or (even worst) inserting it.

Think of the amps that will flash between the prongs of the connector as the AC unit, refrigerator, battery chargers, etc all come on line together!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

Fastjeff wrote:NOTE: You MUST turn OFF the main power switch at either the boat or at the dock BEFORE pulling the plug or (even worst) inserting it.

Think of the amps that will flash between the prongs of the connector as the AC unit, refrigerator, battery chargers, etc all come on line together!

Jeff
That is an excellent point, people get used to plugging in and unplugging low draw 110v wall plugs and forget how much amperage can be involved on our dock side power cords !! It really is important to kill the breakers designed to do this before hand.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

And don't leave a live (plugged in to the receptacle, with the boat end open) lying on the dock for someone to bump into the water. My dopey neighbor does this all the time.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

All great points THANKS!
Trower Power
1987 32ft Marinette Sedan Flybridge
Blue Sky
twin 392 Chrysler Stroker Motors
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Also don't leave the power cord plugged into the boat with the inverter on! The male end prongs will be "HOT"
Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Roger2 wrote:Also don't leave the power cord plugged into the boat with the inverter on! The male end prongs will be "HOT"
Roger

I've never installed an inverter but I'm fairly sure you want to open the path to the main so you never feed voltage back into the dock and never have hot male plug. Same idea for running a generator on board.
This also applies to residential generator. Never feed back into the utility company.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.