Marine Air

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Marine Air

Post by Rockxx »

I'm considering adding marine air to my 28' express and would like to find a used unit at a reasonable price. I've looked at all of the previous post and don't much care for the portable units. In fact, my Son gave me one of the free standing, vent out the window units for Fathers Day but after much measuring and contemplation, I decided my 28' cabin was already snug enough. I don't have a generator other than my Honda 2,000 so I'll have air only when I'm at the dock. I have room under the dinette seat and believe this is were many of these are located.
Since you Guys are full of it, good ideas of course, I'm looking for suggestions. :D

Regards and Merry Christmas to all,
Rockxx I
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Marine Air

Post by bcassedy »

Our boat has a Cruiseaire unit mounted under the aft dinette seat (we have the fwd/port/aft seating set up) on our '88 sedan bridge. The unit's a bit long in the tooth and needs to be replaced. I'll need a reverse cycle air unit (cool and heat). I've looked at a couple of units in the 16K range. Our unit's so old, it would be difficult to recommend one make or the other. Indepth checking will be your best friend. And you may be at an advantage as you have a "clean slate" in that you're not dealing with a previously installed unit that may or may not have utilized the best placement of the unit or how the duct work was run.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Thanks Bill. The 28' has fwd/aft seating and the area under the aft seating is were I plan on installing the unit. I can pull the boat long enough to install tru hull fittings and go from there, if I can find a reasonable unit. If not I guess I'll spend the night at home in July and August. I believe I can get by with 8,000 btu's the majority if the time.
Rockxx
Single Chrysler 318
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

In my 37 aftcabin, I just replaced the old 16,000 BTU with 18,000. Not that much different in price, put in a bigger unit, you won't be sorry.
My 2 cents,
Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
keldridge
Tin star

Post by keldridge »

I just bought a 1966 31 Express and it has factory HVAC. It is located under the seat on the left backing up to the head. In that location it is barely noticed. The vents are a "faux wood" located in the wood seat base. I had added HVAC to one of my earlier boats, a 28 Carver, and I had located it to about the same area and as a bonus it was small enough that it ran on an inverter.
Here is the issue. What are you wanting to cool? When I installed the HVAC under the seat in the lounge I would have to turn it to "freeze your ass off" to cool it in the berth. When I refit my Marinette I will either keep it under the seat and run a flexi duct through the bilge to the berth area or mount it further forward and direct duct it into the berth. For our use we usually don't get down at the cabin much until bedtime unless the weather turns foul.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

I added a Flagship Marine 16.5K BTU unit to our 28' Express last year. It is a great unit. Here's the reason I bought it:
- Their consumer units are built like their commercial and military units. Very solid construction. Much more robust than other units.
- All of the electronics are solid state so there are no computers or circuit boards to worry about. Most expensive electronic component is under $50. A neighbor with a Dometic unit spent close to $1,000 replacing the control board. Replacing the entire unit was $1,800.
- Heat is provided by a resistance coil rather than a reverse cycle heat pump.
- Will work with a 2,000W generator. I use a Honda 3000 Handi Generator.

It has worked great. We boat in the Atlanta are with 100+ degree days in the summer. The 16.5K BTUs make the cabin an ice box.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Thanks Eric. I'm still trying to decide what to do as far as air conditioning is concerned. I'll pull some information on Flagship Marine and check it out.
Single Chrysler 318
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Here's the specs and cost from Flagship.
System Detail Eric Spies - 03.25.15 – final
$1529.00 (1) FM16R, new, 115/1/60, side discharge, w/ Digital Control, 240 GPH reqd., 20023
$ 179.95 (1) heat coil, installed, 115v, 2kw
$ 550.00 (1) Deluxe Install Kit (see list below)
$ 0.00 (1) Controller, FM20515 (included w/ unit) $ $
$ 0.00 (1) pump, MS580, 115v, 320 GPH @ 5’ max head psi (included with kit) 0.00 (1) Plenum (3) 4" discharge collar, 70193 (included with kit) 7.65 (1) Marelon upgrade, 3/4” thru hull assembly
$ 30.32 (1) Marelon upgrade, 3/4” ball valve upgrade $ 141.90 LTL Shipping to commercial address below (lift gate requested, call before delivery)

$2438.82 total
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
aaronrodg
New poster

Post by aaronrodg »

It would be cool if they made headers for marine engines.. Someone probably does or some marine equivalent. I'd try to jack up your 318s hp (without adding too much strain) and change your prop. I use a Kohler generator because kohler generator parts are easily available.
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

:? Not sure what this has to do with Air Conditioning on a Marinette :?:
bill
:idea: And while your at it how about adding a signature :?:
;)
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie