cabin ceilings

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
ukester
Tin star

cabin ceilings

Post by ukester »

just removed the ceilings in my 39 sedan and wow what a job. Had to remove a couple of walls to do it and will have to put 2 pieces of ceiling in a couple of places where the factory had one long piece. I was very surprised at the amount of mold on the tops of the plywood and insulation-it also looks like the water connection for docking had been leaking a long time. Now a question as to what anyone else has used for insulation-I will be using a plastic ceiling it is not as thick as the plywood but will not mold and rot? Has anyone used a spry insulation on the ceilings and just cut off the excess? I tried to use the pink block but the ceiling in the salon one is too thick and the next one down is to thin.

Thanks Mark
mark ucakar
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: cabin ceilings

Post by bill »

BigM
Mark
Some have used this for insulation with success :idea:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-BP4 ... lar|1&pl=1

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Reflectix, the stuff Bill just mentioned, has been noted favorably on the forum for some years. If it's really R21 as advertised, that's a pretty good insulation rating for cheap and flexible material
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

Marinette built the ceiling before the rest of the interior. They used double sided tape to tack fiberglass insulation to the ceiling struts. I has one side with a water proof covering like the type used to wrap water heaters. This side was facing to the outside with the joints taped. They mounted 1/4" ceiling panels over this. When they screwed the panels in the insulation over the struts it crushed down to about a 1/4". When you replace a section of the ceiling have to take this into account. I used foam board and then covered the whole patch which reflectix to push it out the 1/4". If i had a bigger area I would consider sprayed in foam. It seals out water.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

I installed the Reflectix insulation in the cabin ceiling of our 28'. It was a 90+ degree day. The effect on the cabin temperature was immediate. The insulation works well and is installed behind every cabin panel in our M. I especially like the water resistant quality of the plastic.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat