Interior restoration

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
Rivetman
Tin star

Interior restoration

Post by Rivetman »

ALMOST FINISHED WITH CABIN!!! I added a lot of new wood, completely refinished all existing wood, replaced or refurbished and cleaned/polished all chrome and brass, new countertops in galley and head and cabs, new lighting, new cabin sole with pretty hatch trim and pulls, new plumbing fixtures and refurbished beautiful existing ones, new screens for windows (still need to replace window and screen tracks), added nice things like nautical details, cleaned existing uphostery(it was fine...not exactly to my liking, but OK), replaced some electrical including GFI outlets all around, and a zillion little things! My spare hardware box runnith over. Now on to the cockpit/deck/engine room!!! hope to be in the water next Spring (one year late). Thanks for all your help thus far gang.
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Interior restoration

Post by bill »

BigM
Sounds like you are doing a labor of love on this old Lady :D
Keep up the good work and you will be cruising real soon. 8-)
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
JoeB
New poster

Post by JoeB »

Rivetman, what R U gonna' do 'bout the deck? 1973 was the marine plywood fiasco???
Rivetman
Tin star

Post by Rivetman »

Not sure yet.....next big project....thinking back to wood, then cover with Nautolex(found some original in Canada but 2 inches too short!!!!!!!!!
Oh well, solid white is OK I guess. Aluminum just does not do it for me, although a friends looks like a million bucks in aluminum, painted light grey.
I have a friend in the marine business and gets me my stuff at cost.
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

One of my hobbies is building Cedar Strip and stich and glue boats. I did an aft deck on another boat 15 years ago and used the same process I use on my builds.

I used marine grade ply (regular would also work as well) Do not use exterior treated ply.
Cut and pre-fit you deck
Then coat all pieces with at least three coats of resin. (I like MAS the best but West is also good) Make sure edges are completely sealed.

Now add your covering (no nails stables etc.) and you are good to go for at least another 20+ years.

Note: I used a product called "Through the roof" once the deck was down. This is a clear liquid similar to silicone. It works on wet or dry and is designed to penetrate the smallest voids around sky lights etc. I put a bead around the edges and it sucks right in then I put trim back on. Tight as a drum.

I prefer the feel of the wood and it does a better job of reducing engine noise.

Your boat sounds fantastic!

safe harbors,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain