360 Chrysler running like crap cont...

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
railrunner04
Tin star

Re: 360 Chrysler running like crap cont...

Post by railrunner04 »

:idea: corrosion in the ignition pickup inside the distributor :?: That moisture in the cap is disconcerting I rember seeing that although it was a bit fuzzy at the time :roll: I dunno why
Like I said give us a ring if you need a hand anytime :!:

Maybe we need a priest at this stage in the game couldent hurt....
Moby Rick
FYC grosse ile mich
32ft F/B express
T/318 Chrysler marine
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Get out the wallet! :shock: May consider updating to new modern distributors. I did it years ago...solved all my problems.....knocking on wood :?
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I agree with tundrarules.... While both of us are testing Pertronix there are other ignitions out there. While I had a cap /rotor fail this spring I have run the same Cap and Rotor for 4 full season and with the boat in the water 12 months a year. I could have changed it out earlier but I also felt for testing purposes I would just let them run until there was a failure. The Pertronix setup is straight forward and takes the resistor, and ECU out of the equation. Setup uses a Flame Thrower epoxy 0.6 ohm coil. It is an ignitor II so be careful not to leave the ignition on without the engine running. Other than that they have performed well.

safe harbors
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

I have to admit I bailed on the Pertronix trial run. I was the first one to contact their engineering department because of corrosion. I did two trial runs for them. After second failed distributor I got tired of working for free and bailed. I wasted my money on them. I installed Mallory distributors. M has been running great for 5 years. I need to take a pic of the Mallorys and report findings to you guys. I proposed to them that I would test as a paid contractor. They came up with some BS that they couldn't pay contractors......cheap *** company making millions....GOOD BYE... I do think our boats have a real problem with corrosion in the distributors. There is some sort of moisture or galvanic issue.
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
When you went with the Flame Thrower coils what plugs do you recommend?
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

A friend of mine redid the distributors on his 32 Marinette. He retained the stock distributors, but added 45,000 volt replacement coils (available from Jeggs or Summit Racing and not expensive). These coils did NOT use the ballast resistor (but he retained in case he accidentally left the, ah, ignition on. None of us have ever done THAT, right?) The ECU still got the reduced voltage through the original ballast resistor, but he added a second one (with ring terminals) going to the coil.

John said his boat never ran better! And it's still running great years later.

Now, if you want those stock distributors outta there, then this same coil deal can be used with Mallory or whatever.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Jeff,
With the higher output coils :shock: do you remember if John used the original Champion plugs :?:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Yes. Standard plugs.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Bill,
I am running Mallory distributors, high voltage coils, and new 8mm plug wires. The protocol is to use standard plugs and gap. I am on year 4 with the Champion 9 heat range. They all looked good a month ago. I changed the plugs to the 12 heat range as recommended by many. No ballast resistor.

You may want to test for Pertronix engineering. They may send you a couple for free.
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

Hi all, I solved my starting problems by using GM LX301 ignition modules and high power coils with a full 12 volts and got rid of all the Chrysler wire harness and resistors, but retain the stock distributors,plugs and wires. No more Chrysler ignition modules for me nor 4 or 5 pin wire harness's. This solved all my idling problems too.
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast