1960 Family Cruiser

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
MarinetteBud
Tin star

1960 Family Cruiser

Post by MarinetteBud »

I have a couple options available (paid for/in stock) for this new project...and need advice.

The boat came with a SBC with a timing chain driven water-pump and velvet drive trans. (motor mounted backwards) The pump is not working very well and engine runs too hot with lots of blow-by coming from the valve covers.... so it has been removed from the boat.

I have a complete running 318 ('73 M), a 352 Ford FE bored 30 over (needs assemble)....or find a 6cyl or late model / something else?

I think the boat likely came with a Grey Marine 190 hp 6 cyl. I would like to be able to use the boat on long trips (loop?) I would like it to be good on gas, but also be able to go fast enought to plane off...if the is possible?

Off to the ele. category...
Thanks!
Bud
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: 1960 Family Cruiser

Post by barkleydave »

"I think the boat likely came with a Grey Marine 190 hp 6 cyl. I would like to be able to use the boat on long trips (loop?) I would like it to be good on gas, but also be able to go fast enought to plane off...if the is possible?"

That is a tall order and unlikely on a Family Cruiser. While not as much beam as later M's the Family Cruiser was better suited as a semi-planning hull and most did have Grey 6's. They cruised around 9 MPH and you might expect 1.5-2.0 MPG. With the narrower beam they tended to plow when loaded with passengers and all the cruising gear.

Safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
MetalHead
Site Admin

Re: 1960 Family Cruiser

Post by MetalHead »

I'm pretty sure these only came with a 4 cylinder, twin 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder.
Attachments
800px-Marinettebb001.jpg
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL