440 oil pump prime

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
ukester
Tin star

440 oil pump prime

Post by ukester »

well after 2 years fired up the left 440 engine and low and behold no oil pressure-ran it a little-checked both remote hoses running and no oil-started to take the oil pump off and let me tell you it was not a fun time-oil pump body is still on the block with no bolts holding it in place-guess i will have to help it come out-my question is i had the same problem with the right engine and i replaced the pump-is there any easy way to prime these?

Thanks Mark
mark ucakar
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 440 oil pump prime

Post by Busia »

Oil pump stuck? Sometimes one more bolt that they hid. Otherwise it sounds like it is just stuck on with the gasket. The oil pump should be primed if the engine is full of oil. To lube the engine you can pull all the spark plugs and ground the coil output. Then crank it over with the starter. Should spin very fast and you should show oil pressure on the gauge. This will not pre-lube it though. To pump oil and pre-lube you can pull the distributor and use an adapter to spin the pump with an electric drill. You can make, maybe borrow from a parts store, or Summit sells the adapter.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
spdracer
Tin star

Post by spdracer »

Sometimes cracking the oil filter loose with the engine running will do the trick. It helps to vary RPM slightly. If that does work be prepared for a mess when the oil pump picks up prime as it will squirt oil everywhere. Be careful and don't run the engine too long. If that doesn't work then prime the engine with an adaptor or pressure tank into the oil sender port. One last ditch effort would be to remove the pump take it apart and pack the gears with assembly lube.
Chris Hamann
Lakeland Auto & Marine
Port Clinton, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That motor has this loooong oil intake tube from the oil pan that has to be full of oil before it will develop any pressure. The old Buick V-6s and V-8s have a similar system, and similar problems on cold starting.

The classic solution is to pack the oil pump with Vaseline and drill spin the pump until the oil pressure comes up.

Good luck!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

While researching cam replacement for solid tappet 318 / 360 small blocks, I ran across an oil priming requirement for 440s. You need to prime the oil pump using a drill or other motor. Otherwise, the motor will not generate oil pressure. Apparently, it will not self-prime. Since the engine sat for a number of years, you might want to try this approach.

This is one forum thread on the topic. Check out any of the Mopar forums. This is a common problem with 440 rebuilds, cam replacements, etc.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forum ... ?tid=28642

Car Craft and Hot Rod did an article or two on cam replacement referencing this issue and the need to pre-oil or prime the oil system.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Even with a drill, they might not prime without packing the pump with vasoline.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington