Starter Removal NOT GOOD

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Starter Removal NOT GOOD

Post by Maestro »

This is my 3rd season with this boat, and the engine has always started up perfectly.

With no warning signs whatsoever, I turned the key the other day and CLICK. Starter is dead. Brand new battery, solenoid is working. I by-passed the neutral safety switch as well. I connected a cable straight from the starter to the positive battery terminal. Nothin.

I can change a starter - but this starter is buried in the bilge and butted up to a stringer. Anyone ever done this? Is there more space to access the starter in the boats with 318s? I am not sure if I will be able to get to the bolts. I can get on them with a ratcheting wrench but then no room to actually turn the wrench. Tried a few universal sockets, small sockets, etc. but so far nothing I have will fit in there. Guess this is why it's a bad idea to have a 440 in a BigM 28. '

If I can't get at those bolts, the alternatives don't sound like much fun. Lift up the engine...

Any ideas MUCH appreciated. The picture almost makes it look like there's plenty of room, but trust me not much will fit in between that stringer and the starter.

picture: https://1970marinette.shutterfly.com/pictures/29
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Re: Starter Removal NOT GOOD

Post by ericinga »

Lifting the engine looks like the best option.

Next worst option: cut an access hole in the stringer. Have a welder patch it after the repair.

Hate that you're OK in this predicament. That 28 must fly with a 440.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

Eric...she goes pretty good with the big block. Probably not as fast as some might guess. We do about 26mph at 3000rpm and 30ish at 3500. Have never tested speed at wot...

However - I believe my prop needs some work. It's a 14x12 and it should be a 14x11 according to factory specs.

Also, I have trim tabs but they don't work right now. Some day I'll get them working and maybe pick up a few mph
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440

Green Bay, WI
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Before you spend all the time to yank the starter, be darn sure the starter is the issue. Sounds like you verified there is no issue on the positive side but don't forget the negative. Easy test, take a set of jumper cables. Hook one lead to the negative battery post, then the other to the body of the starter (or as close as you can get) and try to start it again. If it still won't start then yank it out. If it cranks with the cables you now need to track down a ground problem, but not remove the starter. It is rare that a starter fails open overnight and is not the solenoid.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

^^^^^^ That is a smart idea.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

EWRice - I just tried your test and still nothing. solenoid goes click but still no starter. Even went the extra mile and by passed everything by totally disconnecting the battery from the boat and running the positive and negative to the starter. Lots of sparks but she still won't turn.

Looks like I have a fun job ahead of me...thanks for your input.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440

Green Bay, WI
semperfive
Tin star

Post by semperfive »

With the solenoid engaged try tapping the body of the starter lightly with a smallish hammer in the area of the brushes. The object is to vibrate stuck brushes. I've had some success with this seemingly barbaric technique.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

I've had the starter hang on old cars due to having a rough place on the flywheel teeth. I'm with semperfive, Tap the sucker with a hammer, it may release. Unusual for these old starters to just quit.
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

If you got a spark show, then it sounds like all your connections in the starter are good. Here is one more thing to try. Put a socket and breaker bar on the crank and try to turn the engine by hand. It sounds stupid, but I had this happen just the other day on a big Yanmar. Everything pointed to the starter being junk (it still was because of water intrusion, but still worked). The drive was stuck out and would not turn the engine because two cylinders were full of coolant. All I would hear is a click. Put a new starter in and hit it. I heard the drive slam into the flywheel, then nothing. Put a breaker bar on her and "oh crap". Still needed a starter, but that was not the problem.

I just looked at your picture again. Is this one of those goofy short field case, gear reduction starters with the solenoid built on? If so, find a good starter shop and see if there is a Denso or PMGR replacemnt available. Even if it is a Prestolite or Delco direct drive see if one of the two replacements are available. They are smaller, lighter and most have more power for given battery CCAs. Just make sure your timing is right. A kickback can blow the planetary gears out.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

If you can get to the bolts you may be able to loosen then and move the starter a little. If the drive is stuck it may release. Now that may only get you free but does not cure the problem.

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain