360 oil treatment

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

360 oil treatment

Post by shade2u2 »

Now that my old 360 is broken in (about 1,280 hours - lol), I have what I would describe as suttle "chatter" - mostly at higher RPMs. It uses about 1/2 to 1 qt of oil between oil changes (each season). I have not checked compression. Power seems okay.

Could this be lifters sticking? I was thinking of an additive treatment to see if I can help this. If that seems like a decent 1st step, what additive would be recommended? I run 30 wt Shell Rotello oil.

Also, what zinc additive (or other) would you recommend after I change oil?

Thank you in advance for your help.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
DougDoty
Tin star

Re: 360 oil treatment

Post by DougDoty »

I have personally seen some stuff from the parts store called " valve medic " loosen or disolve the buildup in some lifters and they returned to normal. ??
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I have the solution: Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Added it to my starboard engine and it works brilliantly!

Here's what's happening: The lifters are leaking down on you after sitting (especially if the motor is slow starting up after sitting a while). Add a bottle of this magic stuff and the problem will go away.

Jeff

PS: If you're not satisfied with this product I'll pay for it! How's that for confidence.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

A better endorsement has never been made! :D

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

The starboard motor in our 32' had leaky lifters. Start the motor and it sounded like marbles rolling around.

I added 1/2 quart of Marvel's Mystery Oil. After one heat cycle, the lifters now maintain pressure and do not leak down. I'll change the oil after a week or so.

I also added MMO to each cylinder during the wet compression test. I wanted it to soak into the rings and break up any carbon.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat