Looking for a 3 way water manifold for one of my 440's

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
DougDoty
Tin star

Looking for a 3 way water manifold for one of my 440's

Post by DougDoty »

I am looking for the 3 way raw water suction side manifold for one of my 440's

I done my spring ride with the engines for a little ways with a bright flash light and an IR temp gun this afternoon while the wife drove and discovered one of the bypass hoses that run from a 3 way manifold on the suction side of the raw pump and it then loops under that balancer and back up to the thermostat housing had been obviously trimmed for a new grip, likely on the upper hose clamp over the years and this it got it up against the balancer and wore through and was leaking and slinging some water.

What that brings me to is I am looking for a spare/replacement 3 way manifold on the suction side of that raw pump from a Chrysler 440 application. Mine has been previously damaged by a bull in a china shop mechanic fighting the hoses off with a screw driver. It was leaking after I had the yard install new impellers back when I bought the boat up in Marinette Wi. and it was hard to get to seal when I went to work on it. I have to work in this area to fix todays problem and would love to find and replace that somewhat damaged manifold, I think I remember it being some pretty thin and custom brazed up copper. Sorry no pictures, it is a mostly working blind situation, it is also the only such difficult to get to thing on my entire boat.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Looking for a 3 way water manifold for one of my 440's

Post by EWRice »

Are you talking about the bypass, or mixing tee, used on early raw water cooled engines? If so, I have three original cast iron examples that are like new. I just need to know the hose sizes.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
DougDoty
Tin star

Re: Looking for a 3 way water manifold for one of my 440's

Post by DougDoty »

When I worked on it last, I remember that is seemed like a soldered up copper arrangment, kind of thin walled too cause it appeared the guy had done the deforming with a screw driver trying to dislodge the hose that was obviously stuck on there tight.

I ordered the new hose section and will be digging down to it in a few days so I will get a better look. The deformed one is sealed up for now and is on the other engine but all of this has reminded me to start looking for one since I want to swap it out at the next impeller change.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.