Firing Order / Timing Problem?

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Firing Order / Timing Problem?

Post by Fastjeff »

The plug wires go (from the # 1 position) in a CCW direction: 12756348

Jeff

PS: It's really easy to loose track of where a wire is going as it dives between the manifold and head. So...if it's running but poorly, using heavy gloves and insulted pliers, remove one wire at a time from the distributor cap and see how the motor reacts. If it slows noticeably, replace the wire; if it doesn't leave that wire out and find another that doesn't the same thing, then swap positions.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Finally figured out the wiring order this morning. Had her cranking over this morning but it never hit and never attempted to start. I flipped the distributer 180degrees and still nothing. My plugs may be fouled as I had lots of marvel mystery oil and diesel fuel in the Pistons to break the motor loose back over the summer. Not sure if any was left after oil change or not. I need to check for fire on the spark plugs. I was hoping to get a least a hit out of her. I have learned today that my tanks thought I thought were totally empty still have some gas in them. I have a small auxillary tank with fresh gas connected to the carb but the original fuel system is pumping old fuel also. I captured some in a bottle and although it is pretty orangish brown it doesn't stink that bad. I expected way worse.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Looks like that motor has 2 and a half strikes against it!

You shouldn't have flipped the distributor IF it tried to run at all before. At the least, pull the plugs and wheel it over with them out to clear out the cylinders. Then put in new ones and try a shot of ether (starting fluid),

Good luck!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington