Changing oil queations

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Aquaholic
Tin star

Changing oil queations

Post by Aquaholic »

Well.....even being a newbie and no real experience with inboards, I thought changing the engine oil would be no big deal. But.....several questions:
Filter choice.......mannual has some hand written notes that have one option being a Fram filter that auto zone did not carry, but it crossrefeeences in their system to another filter that has same diameter and threads but is a shorter/smaller filter. Thoughts? Anyone w a late 80's 318......what do you use?

Draining oil......I'm not certain what plug to drain oil from. There is a pretty large plug just beside the filter; is this my oil drain? Can the oil be drained simply from unscrewing a plug and draining into a pan? Or....Is a pump of some sort needed?

Thanks for advice
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Changing oil queations

Post by EWRice »

Someone with a late model chrysler will have to verify, but all the LA chryslers I have worked on used a wix 51515 filter, or napa 1515. This was a very standard filter back in the day for marine and industrial engines. Be carful with a shorter filter, as some of the filter adapters that chrysler used had an extension tube on the mounting threads.

Your oil drain should be on the front of your oil pan, right in the middle. I would be surprised if you could get a container under it that will hold the 4-7 qts that will come out. Almost all in boards have to have the oil sucked out through the dipstick. Works better when the oil is hot.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
semperfive
Tin star

Post by semperfive »

West Marine has an excellent vacuum pump that will suck the oil out of your engines in minutes. Mine is four years old and going strong. I also use it on my lawn mower. No mess, no fuss.
thanksdad

Post by thanksdad »

I have used a Fram PH 43 for years. They are getting a bit harder for fin, but I have been lucky with Autozone. For my 2 cents,, use a vacuum pump and drain oil through the dipstick hole. Is it the best way, not but It's what I have used for 18 seasons with no ill effect. Also, consider Rotella heavy duty oil.It has served us well. Good luck!

Scott
Scott Ross
Thanks Dad
1988 32 Fisherman
Sandusky, Ohio
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

The final redesign of the late 80's marineized Chrysler's included center dump exhaust manifolds and garden hose threads on the top of the dip stick. The dip stick tube went to bottom of pan and allowed oil to be sucked out with ease.

Previous versions with log style manifolds did not have threads and tubes do not go to bottom of pan. On these models you can remove the tube completely with small wrench and use trim tab hose to suck oil from pan. Measure oil in and out of each engine to verify proper levels.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

I've been using Napa's 1068 Gold filter for several seasons and they appear to be working well. http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL1068/FIL1068 . I have a manual siphon removal system which can be a bit messy but overall it works great.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Aquaholic
Tin star

Post by Aquaholic »

Thanks for all the advice folks. Ended up getting a pump from local Harbor Freight for $6.99 that worked great! I did have to get some addition hose from the hardware. I ended up putting the same filters on that came off of it (Fram PH8A). I did note the threaded garden hose type top to my dipstick port, but didn't have the proper hose with pump to utilize that.
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
SunbeamIV
Tin star

Post by SunbeamIV »

I also used a Fram PH 8A. My BigM came with an X-Change-R built in pump, which works great. Bless the PO for installing this gem, which is also connected to the generator.
Scott, 32' 1989 sedan flybridge
Located: Edgewater Yacht Club
Lake Erie