Chrysler 440 haul out HELP!!

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Chrysler440

Chrysler 440 haul out HELP!!

Post by Chrysler440 »

Hey Guys,
Im looking for the best possible way to haul my Chrysler 440 out of a 37 sedan... Whats usually done?? Can it be done with a few friends and a standard engine hoist or will it require a professional??

Im open to all suggestions
Mike
37' Flybridge Sedan
Twin 440's

studio37peace@aim.com
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Chrysler 440 haul out HELP!!

Post by javalin390 »

Double cabin? How mechanically inclined are you? Personally, in my case, mine are small blocks ( 360's ) and if the need arises, I would do it myself by stripping both to short blocks to make them as small & light as possible and pull them out with a regular engine hoist. Remove the carpet, as to not destroy it, of course. Mine is not a double cabin, so out the sliding glass doors would be no big deal, but if yours is, I'm not sure how you would get 'em out the little door.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I've heard of people cutting a hatch in 'glass boats to lift the motor straight up. Not that I'd do it that way, but....

The short block (ie; without heads) would be the heaviest single component--about 400 lbs. A few strong guys with appropriate rigging could handle it. Seen it done with a plank on the stairs; they winched her up, and slide the new one down. Once inside the cabin, you can use a portable lifting hoist (on rollers).

Good luck!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Jim,
Lift the carpet on the upper helm. My 37 has a section cut out and reinstalled to allow lifting engines out. Might have been put there when Marinette factory changed it to diesels.

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That would be awesome! Hope that's the case.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Chrysler440

Post by Chrysler440 »

I agree!!! Removing all components and then taking the short block is most foreseeable way. I had hopes and dreams of taking the entire engine out as a whole... Stupid me.
I'll keep you posted.
Mike
37' Flybridge Sedan
Twin 440's

studio37peace@aim.com
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

If you have a sedan would it work to use a forklift with really long tines and chains? Not that I know anything at all having never attempted anything like that.

Good luck.

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

We did the forklift engine change on mine (32 Sedan) and it was easy. A double cabin, however, is a nightmare!

Jeff
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Growing up we had a steel houseboat with the engine located about 10 feet from the transom, we fabricated a boom out of 4" square steel tubing and fitted it to the bucket of a skid steer. then you just need a steady operator on the skid steer and it's easy from there. Just remember that the end of that boom moves very quickly in comparison to the skid steer.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
drgonzo
New poster

Post by drgonzo »

I have done this job. You'll need a engine boom lift and 6 very strong men. You pull the windows out one side of the boat and the tracks as well. Strip everything including the heads and oil coolers. Take pictures of everything you take off and put all bolts in plastic zip lock bags and Mark them well as to what they are. Being that they no longer make reverse rotation cams for Chrysler's.... You will have to send you old cams in to Lunatti to have them reground. Make sure you have bronze valve guides installed in the heads and have the micro cracks in the heads fixed. Have Lunatti regrind the cam to I believe .454 on both the intake and the exhaust at 112 degree centers. Have studs installed in the head and opt for roller rocker arms. Call Gregs cylinder head in riverview michigan and talk to Greg. He put SRP pistons in my engines and balanced everything. His head work is second to none. Completely disassemble your entire exhaust system and have each piece put in the shake and bake machine to remove all the rust scale ( must do ) your stock carbs are fine....rebuild them and buy a jet kit from edelbrock and if your wise ..get MSD distributors with 6A boxes and new single wire Delcos alternators. I have a pair of the best running 440's on the Detroit river and the increase in bottom end tork at idle makes a huge difference when docking. Replace all your hoses. Exhaust hoses..engine cooler lines, trans cooler lines, fuel lines , water intake hoses. Also replace you positive and negative battery cables with new heavier AGW cable. Solder all your ends. Get your starters rebuilt and change out the perko fuel strainers with mercrusier water separating fuel filters. This would be a good time to have your transmissions gone through just for good measure and if your out of the water....dripless packings installed. This is not an easy job...do not skimp on parts or machine work...you do not want to do this job twice...trust me