Water pickup for Chrysler 440

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Layzboy2011
New poster

Water pickup for Chrysler 440

Post by Layzboy2011 »

I removed the existing water pickup through hull because it had a frozen gate valve and was a mix of black iron, galvanized, and bronze. Needless to say I had just a little corrosion going on with that setup. I would like to replace everything with marelon fittings, but they don't make a large enough pickup screen in marelon. How do you guys have your raw water intake setup? For what it is worth, I had 1.50" through hull and hoses. I am starting from scratch so please give me some ideas to stop this boat from corroding. Thanks!
John from Ohio. 28' sportsman with single 440
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Re: Water pickup for Chrysler 440

Post by Roger2 »

Several places have Marlon thru-hulls. you really don't need a screen on out side. just the strainer inside.
Try: http://www.forespar.com/products/boat-m ... hull.shtml

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
Layzboy2011
New poster

Post by Layzboy2011 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the screen outside the hull helps to force water into the intake when traveling on a plane. If that is not needed then it will be very easy to find the right size. However, if it is not needed why do you see one on every inboard planing boat? I am not trying to say you are wrong, I am just curious and don't want to starve my motor of cooling water. Thanks!
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Not really needed, none on mine.

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Looking a little farther into the site Roger suggested. :o

http://www.forespar.com/products/boat-m ... hull.shtml

Is that what you need :?:

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Layzboy2011 wrote: it seems like the screen outside the hull helps to force water into the intake when traveling on a plane.
They do..and act to block some crud from getting sucked in
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Your boat.
I have no screens on the outside and has not been a problem.

Roger
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
Layzboy2011
New poster

Post by Layzboy2011 »

Bill, yes that is what I was looking for, except in 1 1/2" the biggest there is 1 1/4". But it seems like it is unnecessary so I will just get a mushroom shaped one with a screen. This is my first inboard enginge, I have only had outboards before, and I am learning as I go . thanks again for the help!
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

One of our posters is parting out a 77. Maybe you can use it's intake screen, right?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Layzboy2011
New poster

Post by Layzboy2011 »

I just thought that i would update this thread. it seems like the proper way is to just use the bronze thru hull and isolate it as well as possible. that is what the factory did and the parts to go to a marelon setup just are not being produced. Than you for all of your help everybody! I cant wait for the weather to let up so i can have a few warm days to start working on the boat.