Hot exhaust and Steam

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Hot exhaust and Steam

Post by jtalberts »

I will make a blog post about this but I wanted to make a thread on here. I had noticed that my engines seem to steam even in warmer temperatures. It always through me off because I had water coming out of the back. When out running the other day I had a strong burning rubber smell. I opened up the engine bay and my one port hose was smoking and the outside rubber of the hose had peeled away. I shut down that engine and made my way home on just the starboard. Yesterday I went down fully expecting my impeller to need replacing. After pulling the water pump and tearing it down, it looked brand new. I have no idea how old the impeller is. Yes, shame on me. I should have replaced them when I purchased the boat. I was a bit irritated and went to cool my head. I started googling what it possibly might be and I found a post on another forum from FastJeff saying to check the transmission cooler for clogs. Well, it was completely clogged on the input side. You couldn't even see through the cooler. I also found that the cooling line connecting to the cooler is pretty rotted out. I decided to call it quits that day and I will be replacing the hose and testing today.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Re: Hot exhaust and Steam

Post by jtalberts »

I wanted to add that I believe this was a chronic issue. The hose that melted had been replaced in the last year or so before I bought the boat. I have a feeling the PO never fixed the reason it would get hot but just replace the hose. I will be cleaning out the starboard side as well.
41x14
"Figment"
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

If you have an opportunity for photos and posting them, the forum rats will appreciate it. You post is very instructive
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

If only it were as easy as FB to post pictures :roll: Maybe some day :D someone :geek: will find a simple way to add pictures :!:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

This website requires tiny .jpg picture files or they don't post.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Here is what I found. Think it was running hot enough? The crazy part of this is that my block temperature was in normal range. I did not peel the exhaust hose, it was smoking like it was on fire when I found it and was in this state.

41x14
"Figment"
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

I get white smoke/steam that dissipates fairly quickly when I go fast...2000rpms or more. Doesn't really happen at snow speeds. Never knew this was actually a problem. Engine temp reads cool.

Thought plenty of water was shooting out at all speeds but guess I need to check impeller. I do have a tiny leak at the seacock. Not sure if that affects this particular problem.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Add hopefully blown head gasket to this. Sad that is the best I can hope for.

Got the hoses replaced and had the boat running. I noticed steam coming out of the valve cover. I pulled the dipstick and it was nice and milky.

FML.
41x14
"Figment"
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

I wouldn't freak out about it unless it's new. Some steam is normal. When running at 3200 mi e steams a bit and all is good.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Compression test went well.

Readings from rear to front

Port Starboard
135. 135
125. 135
135. 125
120. 130

Looking at the exhaust manifold as it got hot enough to start to brown the bright blue paint.
41x14
"Figment"