Engine dies after warming up

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Engine dies after warming up

Post by Tranquilo »

New boat. Single 318 - 1973 express.

I just had the water pump and seacock replaced. On my maiden voyage, it ran beautifully.. Until it warmed up.

Once it warms up, it dies. Does turn over but won't start till it cools down.

Pretty bummed because I just painted it and drifted into a tug!

Any help would be huge!
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Supersport18
Tin star

Re: Engine dies after warming up

Post by Supersport18 »

Need more info. Did you check for spark? That would be a good place to start. Also, if you find yourself adrift, drop anchor if you can safely do so. Or prepare to fend off if it's not possible. Use your radio. If there are other boaters nearby they might throw you a line and tow you to safety. Channel 16/9 hailing channels.
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Hydraulic Steering (both helms)
Autopilot (both helms)
liquidplummer
Tin star

Post by liquidplummer »

Try replacing the distributor cap. I have had similar problem and that was the culprit. Moisture gets under the cap and then turns to vapor when it gets hot.
Silver Queen St Louis Mo
1982 37 ft flybridge sedan twin 360 chryslers 1.91 velvet drives
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

And before Bill asks you to do so, please fill in your signature so we know more about what equipment and power you have. Help us to help you.
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Autopilot (both helms)
RBrown
Tin star

Post by RBrown »

It could be the coil.
1986 39' Marinette Double Cabin
Misty Blue
350 HP. Crusaders
Home Port: New Buffalo, MI.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Update sig line - Thank you! And the anchor wasn't an option because I was in a tight river when she stalled (tick tick BANG)

I never considered the cap. Might explain why I also have an issue with the ignition breaker popping if I throttle down too fast - for another thread :((((

It's really strange because if it runs idle for 15 minutes, it just stalls out. I am able to crank it but it doesn't begin to respond until about 15 minutes later. Another boater made a suggestion to check the thermostat but my temp is good now that the pump was replaced.

I had an incident last week where the seacock failed and I blew the impeller which made a hell of a noise.

After we fixed it today, she purred like a kitten until she didn't.

Really appreciate the insight. I'd be lost without this forum

D
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

I have the same boat only 1972. I encountered the same problem just last week and found that after changing fuel filters the problem went away. The inline filter was pulling trash to the outlet and after the engine quit the trash was released back to the filter until I ran her again. Just a thought. While I'm on, can anyone give me a hint as to how I can get this damn thing to back to starboard. Absolutely will not do it. I understand prop rotation determines this but you would think that with rudder full to starboard it might at least back straight.
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

I have the same boat only 1972. I encountered the same problem just last week and found that after changing fuel filters the problem went away. The inline filter was pulling trash to the outlet and after the engine quit the trash was released back to the filter until I ran her again. Just a thought. While I'm on, can anyone give me a hint as to how I can get this damn thing to back to starboard. Absolutely will not do it. I understand prop rotation determines this but you would think that with rudder full to starboard it might at least back straight.
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

HA! Yeah, its a new filter and I'm running it out of a 2 gallon gas can to be sure that I don't have a clog in the line. The guy who sold me the boat suggested I clean the fuel tanks so I removed it from the equation.
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

Run it until it stalls, pull a spark plug wire and stick an old spark plug in and ground it to the block. If no spark you have an ignition problem. Coils can get hot and break down. Ballast resistor could be bad. Moisture under distributor cap usually causes problems at higher rpm. But that is definitely easy to check and you can wipe out the moisture after a quick shot of WD40. ( As Fastjeff says, yellow spark is NO spark). Good luck.
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Autopilot (both helms)