flybridge ignition switches

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
ukester
Tin star

flybridge ignition switches

Post by ukester »

well after running up and down the ladder in in the cellar around a dozen times today has anyone else run ignition switches in both the salon and fly bridge? I have power in the switches in the salon but no power in the wires they call the harness up in the fly bridge?

Thanks Mark
mark ucakar
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: flybridge ignition switches

Post by yooper »

I know that you need to turn off the boat at the helm you turned it on. Is that why you are climbing up and dowm?
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I thought topside and cabin ignition switches were standard. At least it ought to be. Doing that was a great idea for the times when you have to shutdown immediately! My standard practice was to warm up the engines from the cabin helm for a few minutes and listen to their sounds for those little noises that can spell trouble. Then, shutdown, turning off the ignition switches. Once on the bridge I would use only those top side ignition switches during operation and kill them at day's end. If you have the wiring in place, someone with electrical knowhow here can coach you into hooking up the dual switch setup (beyond my pay grade).
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
ukester
Tin star

Post by ukester »

I need some help with wiring the 2 stations-the factory wiring of this is not up to par of what this boat should be.
mark ucakar
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Mark,
Dougrose helped me out with a wiring problem. :) You could PM him :D if he doesn't answer your post.

bill

also when you get a minute please add a signature. :roll:
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

Dual station ignition switches are wired in parrallel . You could do a 3way switch configuration similar to your home wiring for the ignition circuit, and then add starter switches wired in parrallel for the starter circuit. That way you could start/kill the motors from either helm.
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Hydraulic Steering (both helms)
Autopilot (both helms)
Dougrose

Post by Dougrose »

I have diesels so my engine wiring does not apply to most Marinettes.

I did, however, wire the hot to the ignition switch on the upper station from the IGN out at the lower station. This way, you have to turn the lower switches on to enable the flybridge switches. I did this back when I had a pre-teen playing up there a lot, and it was nice to know that she and her friends couldn't turn on the diesels. The flybridge switches are just switches, not keyswitches. The lower station takes keys.

I always start by holding down the "stop" button and cranking to clear the cylinders, then let up on the stop to bring fuel in and start. If the engines don't spin smoothly, you don't want them to start. Once warmed up, I leave the switch on and go up to the flybridge to run the boat, usually.

If I had gas engines, I think I would do the same, keyswitches below and toggles on the flybridge. I could whip up a schematic if anyone is interested.
Doug Rose
32' Cabin Cruiser
Twin Perkins 120hp Diesels
Merritt Island, Florida
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Doug, if you're suggesting that to kill the engines when you are on the bridge you have to run down the ladder into the cabin and flip switches there, then I disagree. When on the bridge and an engine kill is needed, you should do it from that spot. Perhaps, I misunderstood and we're talking about the same result.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Thanks Doug,
He wrote:
I could whip up a schematic if anyone is interested.
Yes please do. Could you incorporate 8-) three way switched for lower and upper stations :?:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
ukester
Tin star

Post by ukester »

Bill
It would be very helpful for a schematic.

Thank you
Mark
mark ucakar