Exhaust Surges

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
collins69s
Tin star

Exhaust Surges

Post by collins69s »

Hi all. My exhaust is "surging" from my Stbd engine. Water flows normal, then slows to a trickle, then blasts out like a volcano. That whole cycle takes about 10 seconds. The engine isn't running hot. I checked the exhaust to see if there was a low spot in the pipe or hose and saw nothing. All appears in good shape. I checked various spots for temps with laser recently and didn't see anything jump out at me, although I wasn't particularly looking for the cause of this issue. Just checking in general. I read online it could be the lake water cooling system pulling air in somewhere. My engines are closed cooling. Would a worn impeller do this? Going to check strainer seal next time I go up.. Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks!
Sean
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Exhaust Surges

Post by bill »

Sean
BigM
Sucking air or bad impeller.
Easy to check for sucking air hard to check bad impeller. :lol: but you already knew that. :D
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

Thanks, Bill. When it comes to boats, "easy" is always a relative term. There isn't much between the strainer and block intake so yes it should be "easy".. My water pump is a Sherwood and fairly "accessible".. Also a relative term!
Thanks!
Sean
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
Rob
Tin star

Post by Rob »

Isn't that the way it suppose to work? Mine pukes out every 10 sec or so just like yours.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

You are on the right track with the strainer and impeller, but you might want to check to make sure the hose from the oil cooler to the water pump is reinforced hose and in good shape. One season my starboard engine was driving the mechanics and me crazy. Three impellers and a rebuilt pump later, I systematically began pulling and inspecting each hose starting from the seacock. I discovered a crack in the hose right underneath the clamp on the intake side of the water pump. I replaced it with hose I had on hand, but it was not reinforced. So I discovered the hard way that the suction from the pump will make unreinforced intake hose collapse occasionally. It's a wild guess, but that might be causing your engine to burp. And if you're pulling air you may wear out the impeller sooner.

At the dock they think I'm paranoid, but I always check to make sure both engines are throwing a steady stream of water before I untie.

Good luck.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

You might have a collapsed exhaust hose. I've seen them where the outside looks just fine, but a layer of hose inside is blocking the flow. If that's it, you can visualize water and exhaust backing up, then blurping by in a burst of flow.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington