1991 Crusader Temperature Question for FastJeff

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
captpaddwheel
Tin star

1991 Crusader Temperature Question for FastJeff

Post by captpaddwheel »

FastJeff,

With your vast knowledge of Crusaders, got one a problem that is maybe simple but puzzling. I've just installed all new factory OEM Crusader Manifolds & Risers on my 1991 engines. These engines are in my aft-cabin and the exhausts are configured like a v-drive dumping out the front. After warm-up, my risers are 90 degrees, my left side manifold is about 175 degrees, (facing the front of the engine), and my right side at 210-215 degrees. This is using a temp gun and shooting the outside metal 6 inches behind the riser. My thermostat housing is at 160-162 degrees. Is this a flow problem with my heat exchanger, block, global warming? Stumped! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Greg
1992 34 foot Aft Cabin with Crusader 454's

"There's Old Captains and there's Bold Captains,
But there's not many Old Bold Captains"
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: 1991 Crusader Temperature Question for FastJeff

Post by Fastjeff »

Sounds like one side is blocked, which sends excess coolant to the other side (lowering its temperature). The hot side is the one that has a blockage where the water and exhaust finally meet.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

This may be a stretch but I'm wondering whether the gaskets are correctly installed (picking up on Jeff's reference to blockage).
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
captpaddwheel
Tin star

Post by captpaddwheel »

Thank you Jeff for your response. I'm gonna have to do some fresh water flow testing. Once I get the other block finished I'll check it to see if there is any similar results or findings. The only other thing might be the hot side is getting a lean fuel mixture and I'm getting hotter cylinders. Time to get the temp gun back out and check around the block. :(

captpaddwheel
Tin star

Post by captpaddwheel »

Thank You Joel for your response. I checked my gaskets and they are blocking the right holes. Thanks for making me look and check again. I am always one step away from remembering where I stepped. Getting old and forgetful is really starting to get......What was I typing?

jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

One more quick note after I recalled a similar problem years ago (but not the same sharp temp difference you recorded): The front, higher side of the engine ran hotter. Mechanic said it was because less cooling water was making it "uphill" to the front. Again, in my case, the temp difference was smaller but I just wanted to toss another outside possibility into the mix (even though Jeff is more likely on course).

Sometimes so much crud is formed in decaying manifolds, it breaks loose and fouls a passage. Would some added water pressure help here?
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD