V-6 Repower

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

V-6 Repower

Post by TinLizzy »

I have seen the discussions on here on the pro's and con's of rebuilding, new long block, complete repower with a Crusader and such. My question is, has anybody repowered with a 4.3l V6? I am looking into this for a couple of reasons. First, is that a 4 barrel carbed 4.3l makes in the neighborhood of 215 hp, not that for off of the 225 hp of the 318. Second, it would give me some extra room in front of the engine, so a person could actually access it to preform maintenance. Third, is the weight savings. From what I can tell Marine Power is the only one that makes one for purchase, but I think I could make a couple of Mercruisers work if need be. I would have to get new bell housing and probably one new transmission that would make it opposite rotation. A new tranny will run between $1,500 and 2,000. I think if I look and wait long enough I will be able to find a few used 4.3l stern drive engine for around a grand. I think I could get it all done for under 7-8 grand if everything worked out. My plan is to stick with the 318's until something major goes on them, giving me time to collect all the parts I need. Thoughts ?
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: V-6 Repower

Post by Fastjeff »

Should work fine, but--like you said--it will require a reversing tranny.

Gotta be some of them (trannies) out there used (and cheap).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

I agree with Jeff. There were some 28s that came from the factory with V-6s. When you think about it, the 28 with a single 318 moves pretty well so even with the added drag of another strut, shaft, prop, and rudder, a pair of V-6s should work. They'd also weigh a bit less.

It should be way easier to service the V-6s in the 28. I'm dreading the thought of getting that port water pump off to change the impeller.

If you do it, let us know how it goes.

Good luck,

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

From what I have seen a few came with V6 motors, but it looks like they were 3.8l's at 165 hp, not the 215 hp 4.3l. Looking at zf hurth trannys, it appears that the 1:1 ratio on most allow for full power in forward or reverse, allowing them to be used on either side, but I could be wrong. I missed one on Ebay yesterday for $350, was used with only 175 hours, looked good, but wasn't ready to bid in time.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Calivanos
Tin star

Post by Calivanos »

Rodney,
To answer your question the V6 vortec 4.3l is what I have. They are as you described, a bit smaller, lighter, and fuel efficient. Mine are 262 displacement and make 225hp. I am new to the boat and since it had an inch of green goo on the hull I didn't try to run her wide open before I had a chance to get her out of the water and clean up. I can tell you they sound like big block v8's and have tons of torque. PO claims top speeds in high 30's which I have to say would surprise me. He also said running her at trawler speeds he had problems with gas in the main tank going bad before he could burn it all.

I'll keep you advised when I relaunch hopefully early June.

Michael aka Calivanos
Calivanos
1964 31' Marinette Cabin
Twin V6 Vortecs, ZF Hurth Transmissions
Matagorda, Texas