twin disc trans on Volvo engine

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
hoohaah
Tin star

twin disc trans on Volvo engine

Post by hoohaah »

My port transmission is leaking slightly & when I shift there is a hesitation before going into gear? Not sure if the 2 problems are related because when I top off the oil the problem still persists. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Would like to fix both problems in the spring of 2015. HooHaaH Too is moored in Saugatuck MI on the Kalamazoo River. Wally D
ImageCaptain Wally
39' Marinette twin Volvo diesels
Docked on the Kalamazoo river in Saugatuck, Michigan
Name Miss Kris III
Great Lakes Docks & Decks with over 30 years in Marine Construction Location Algonac, MI
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Re: twin disc trans on Volvo engine

Post by Roger2 »

I have the Twin Disk trans in mine also. Get a pressure gauge and check pressure, I think it's at or near 400 Lbs required, Pressure should drop when you shift, then return to full pressure.
I've got the books if you need actual specs.

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
hoohaah
Tin star

Post by hoohaah »

Thanks Jay I also have the books on the twin disc. will get a gauge & check the pressure, Wally D
ImageCaptain Wally
Name Miss Kris III
Great Lakes Docks & Decks with over 30 years in Marine Construction Location Algonac, MI
liquidplummer
Tin star

Post by liquidplummer »

Wally, did your boat come from lake of the ozarks?
Silver Queen St Louis Mo
1982 37 ft flybridge sedan twin 360 chryslers 1.91 velvet drives
hoohaah
Tin star

Post by hoohaah »

Yes HOOHAAH TOO came from Lake of the Ozarks Did you know David Frazer the previous owner? By the way the trans has 2 gauges on the dash & both Trans read 300 psi each. She performed really well coming up the Illinois river from St. Charles Mo. Have a great Day Wally D
ImageCaptain Wally
Name Miss Kris III
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Wally,
Check your Twin Disk book, My memory says 300 PSI is low closer to 380- 400.
Your the Big M that came up Illinois River and stopped for fuel @ Tall Timbers Marina, mile 120.
Been trying to catch up to you. Tall Timbers is my home port.

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
hoohaah
Tin star

Post by hoohaah »

Roger
I don't remember stopping for fuel on Sunday, its possible we stopped for some other reason? We ran 160 miles the first day & stayed in Peoria Sunday night at mile marker 154 or 163 just past a lock. Will look at the chart tonight & check out mile marker 120 . Will also check my Twin Disc book for the proper pressure #. Good talking to you. Wally D
ImageCaptain Wally
Name Miss Kris III
liquidplummer
Tin star

Post by liquidplummer »

Wally,
I am familiar with your boat. I have friends that were 2 slips away from hoohaah at the Silver Sands Marina at lake of the ozarks. It sold and next thing I know its at Port Charles marina next to my friends boat. You have a great boat and hope you enjoy it.
Wally Scott
37 Sedan Flybridge "Silver Queen"
Silver Queen St Louis Mo
1982 37 ft flybridge sedan twin 360 chryslers 1.91 velvet drives
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Maybe didn't stop, Maybe just called him about fuel.

Roger
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
hoohaah
Tin star

Post by hoohaah »

Wally & Roger
I really appreciate your comments about HOOHAAH!!! What a small world it is!!! We really love her & will continue to improve all her systems. Roger I spoke to one of my friends who went on the trip he said we didn't stop on Sunday. We really enjoyed the scenery on the Illinois river, what a great place to boat!!!! There are so many great places to stop & Anchor, too bad we had a deadline. It took 4 days to go from Port Charles Marina in Missouri to Saugatuck Michigan. We went from brown water & no waves to Blue water & 4' to 5' Waves. We should have taken at least 10 days to enjoy all there is to see. Have a Great Day Wally D
ImageCaptain Wally
Name Miss Kris III