Bent Shafts

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Bent Shafts

Post by jtalberts »

Well, I believe I have two bent prop shafts. One was either bent when I bought the boat or when it was brought to me by land. The other was when I hit a sunken log in September. So I have 2 bent rudders and two bent shafts. How much of a pain is it to replace these on my own?
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
Docsnow
Tin star

Re: Bent Shafts

Post by Docsnow »

It'll be the cost more so then the labor I assume you have Insurance ?? turn it into them :?:

jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

I will be looking to get the shafts straightened out. My props are in great shape and nothing else seems out of line with it. Being that I am not moving the engines or transmissions my alignment should stay pretty sound?
41x14
"Figment"
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Getting the darn prop off will be a big part of your shaft job. That means plenty of patience, heat, patience, a good prop puller and, did I mention patience? On the heat item, the only time I had props pulled (turned out to be another stupid project) the yard (I had to give up) put a blowtorch on the coupling for almost two hours, used a heavy duty prop puller and only then did the prop relent. I say it was a stupid project because I convinced myself after a visit to the boat show that I would have a more efficient running boat with properly pitched props. The upgrade was so small I never recouped the cost of the project. Had the props been dinged or banged, that would be a different story.

If your props had been taken off in the last couple of years, they may not be locked in so tightly and you could have an easier project.

Answering your question properly isn't really possible unless you can describe your mechanical experience, a very subjective topic. There are some (long ago) posts here about replacing rudders. But I an afraid that since the site upgrade, where most old posts were compressed into one file, that will be hard. You could look into the old files and perhaps a search on the pdf versions will help. I also suspect the info is accessible from other sources thru an old fashioned Google search.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

There is a contact here somewhere for a guy that will make you a stainless set of rudders at a good price.
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

Just pay someone to pull the props for you. It's usually cheap, and they have all the tools. Probably not more than $75 to pull both. You say your props are in good shape but usually if your shaft(s) are bent you must have whacked something pretty hard and the props would be bent up, too. Why do you think they are bent? Vibration? Could the cutlas bearings be bad? Maybe out of alignment at the coupler? If they are bent its not a huge deal to get them out, but make sure your boat is blocked high enough to remove them. Same for the rudders if you are pulling them too. Then take them to a machine shop and have them checked for straightness. Minderman Marine in Port Clinton is my go to for machine shop service. Doesnt have to be a marine specialty shop, any decent shop can do it for you. They can straighten them if not too messed up.
Sean
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

I noticed some vibration out of the boat on the port side. When watching the shaft spin at my vdrive, the shaft is not only spinning, it has an oblong rotation in it. The Cutlass bearings are in good shape. I never had any issues on the starboard side until coming back from our Sternwheel festival this September. I hit something big and after that taking that engine over 1200 rpms creates a horrible vibration through the boat. I was betting my props were trashed, but when we pulled the boat for winter they were pristine. The rudders were bent way before I got the boat. I am guessing that what bent the port shaft also did a number on those. The trailer I am on is high enough to get the rudders out. I plan on replacing the rubber hose on the shaft log while doing this as well. It is at the end of its life. I will also be validating that my shafts are properly isolated.
41x14
"Figment"