360 Risers and oil pressure

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
balthaus
Aluminum Star

360 Risers and oil pressure

Post by balthaus »

I just looked at an 1984 32ft Sedan FB with twin 360's that had not been run on the water for about 2 years. The boat itself was in excellent shape except for the aft deck ( needs replaced ).
I noticed that the outboard risers were a different shape than the inboard risers. Outboard had more of a rise and a tighter radius...if that makes sense. the outboard risers were hotter than the inboard risers but were of equal temp. All manifolds were equal temp as well as the inboard risers.
Also the port engine oil pressure was a little on the high side, however it did settle down to about the same pressure, and the pressure gauge was a bit slow to respond to throttle inputs.
Any thoughts??

Thanks
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Re: 360 Risers and oil pressure

Post by balthaus »

The riser I am talking about is in the upper left of the picture.
Attachments
DSCN0299.jpg
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Riser height is correct. Now sure why but that is how they were setup from the factory.

I have also noticed either inboard or outboard manifolds were hotter (I cant recall which off top of my head) but each respective port and starboard engine manifolds are equal temp and gauges always show the same temp.

My port oil gauge is always slow to respond. In fact it is almost max pressure until the engine is run at cruising speed for a few minutes. Then the needle backs down to match starboard oil. I suspect its a sending unit. My local mechanic has a portable gauge I can put in place to test the sending unit. Have not done it yet.

Check the undersides of the manifold where they meet the block. Seems to be failure point with lots of rust. Also check water flow from each exhaust to make sure they look equal and the water strainers are full.

-karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

Thanks for the reply.
Those were about the only "flags" that jump out at me. Unfortunately I was not able to take her out for a sea trial.
However, the current owner is the second owner of this 1984 M and by crawling around her I can tell that she was maintained as well as enjoyed.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

Karl
Water strainers looked good (full and good equal flow)
Did not think to check undersides of manifolds.
Motors both sounded (sp) good with no chatter, knocking etc...at idle, in neutral, and above to about 1600 rpm.
Oil looked equal and good....will change of course.
Unfortunately, she is about 350 miles away from me.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
Raw water cooled
Ohio River