Engine oil

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Ryan
Tin star

Engine oil

Post by Ryan »

Just purchased my first Marinette and it has a set of 1986 Chrysler 360s. What motor oil do you guys recommend? The motors have about 800 hours on them...
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360's
Cleveland, Ohio
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Engine oil

Post by GB49 »

We have always used 30W detergent. Just last year I added a smidge of Motorkote into each engine. So far so good.

http://motorkote.com/

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

Valvoline 30w. Engines are clean as a whistle inside and just made a 136 mile trip down the west coast of Michigan with 1200 hrs on them.
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Hydraulic Steering (both helms)
Autopilot (both helms)
MustangCP3
New poster

Post by MustangCP3 »

On all my oil changes, I add a teflon coating additive which helps reduce heat, adds to the engine block a teflon coating to reduce wear and friction to help the engines last longer and run cooler as which all that help with better fuel mileage. One brand that both my late father and I did research on is Greesed Lighting brand we found to be the best of all of them. Greesed Lighing has other engine care products that I have used as well, but on every oil change i add this product to ALL my engines from small lawn care product engines to my cars including my boats. I use Syntec Edge Castrol Oil in the 30 w range depend on each engines I am adding the oil change to Here is a link in case you are interested in this teflon coating additive toyour engines: http://www.greasedlightning.com/shop/details.asp?id=22
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

A lot of people have recommended that I use Brad Penn oil , especially with a non roller cam. It has something to do with the new oils do not contain the zink(?) that the older oils did. I like the synthetics in other applications , less heat generated and better lubricity.

FastJeff or any of the older racers have any input on the newer oils . :?: I am not sure myself, but I do see a lot of The Brad Penn oils in high HP boats and cars. Is it worth the extra $$$. People at local dirt track swear by it . I did notice my engine rebuilder used Brad Penn 30w break in oil in my new motors.
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Been running Shell Rotella 10-40 for 10 years no issues.

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Ryan
Tin star

Post by Ryan »

Rotella? Is that diesal engine oil?
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360's
Cleveland, Ohio
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

I 'm a firm believer in Rotella 30W for over 10-15 years in my 502ci's.
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River
bruegf
New poster

Post by bruegf »

Mobil 1 10w30. Been using it since before it was generally available, was buying it by the case from the Mobil office at a gasoline storage facility.

Talked to a guy at Marysville Marine once and he mentioned they had a customer that had a fleet of rental houseboats that used Mobil 1 in their gensets and routinely got 10,000 hrs between rebuilds.

Fred
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Great question... Always a hot topic!

Quote by the famous fast Jeff "
For two reasons--additives and age--I recommend Shell Rotella 10W40 oil. (Just bought some yesterday from Wal Mart. It's on sale for 12 bucks a gallon, by the way.) This oil has ZDDP-type additives that protect your cam and lifters where today's "normal" oils do not (thanks to most new cars having roller lifters and overhead cams)"
Jeff
Also recommended that you add extra zinc using 1/4 bottle per engine of Lucas engine break in oil additive.
http://lucasoil.com/products/engine-oil ... -zinc-plus

Or add ZDDP plus... Not much..Read directions. Too much zinc is also bad. Think we only need about 1300ppm. Remember Rotella has 1200 ppm already.
http://zddplus.com/
Not sure about all the overpriced magic oil on the market. The Rotella oil with added zinc makes the most sense to me for now. I definitely would not use synthetic oil... Too slick for our old seals and rings.

Sam's sells 15w-40 Rotella (1200ppm zinc) for $73 a case (6×6gal)
Amazon has good price on ZDDP.. Free Ship.. Hard to find in auto stores.

Here is an article on on ZDDP...zinc http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012 ... r-engines/

Let us know what you decide to use. :shock:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen: