Winterizing Chrysler engines on the hard- raw water system

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Winterizing Chrysler engines on the hard- raw water syst

Post by bill »

:D Better safe than sorry :!:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Louky: take a minute when you get a chance and update your signature to include info such as Bill's sig just above. Helps us frame a better response. Thnx for that. Meanwhile, some marinas don't want you to use the blue/green AF because they're considered toxic while the pink stuff isn't. I think the classification of non-toxic is a mfr's "term of art", 'cause I sure wouldn't be drinking that mix. But, indeed, it's safe for the potable water system (flush well).
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Couple of things...
- I had planned on running the -100 deg thru the engines per Bill's process... Didn't get to as I ordered it thru Menards and it came in late. Used the pink -50 deg as we had in years past . We'd moved the boat from our old marina (new owners passively pushing folks out by neglect... "improved" policies) and we winterized the engines when we pulled into the marina that would pull the boat.
-> After the pink stuff started coming out of the exhaust, kept pouring for a few seconds to ensure as much circulation as possible.
-> I'd installed fittings on the outboard sides of the engine blocks w/ rubber hoses running to the inboard side, terminating in a ball valve. Lets me check for pink stuff on that side of the engine or just drain any remaining water out. Inboard fittings aren't as tough (yet!) to get to.
-> pulled the thermostats and filled the blocks with pink stuff.
-> pull the impeller housings and pull impellers from them. Take 'em home. Ensures minimal "learned bend" in the vanes as well as good time for inspection for cracked/missing vanes.

NOTE on the plunger flusher for the engines....
Had intended to use my newly acquired flusher fitting but as said above, didn't get a chance to use it... on the engines.
BUT... it worked dandy in getting the head toilet winterized.
-> coat the lip of the plunger with silicone (ensures a great seal to the bottom of the boat around the flush mount thru hull intake).
-> needed to use a small step ladder to prop the flusher against as it doesn't extend too far. No biggy.
-> connect a regular garden hose (male fitting on one end/ no fitting on the other) to the flusher.
-> stick the non-fitting end into a gallon of pink stuff.
-> hit the head flush button on the boat. Any water expells and acts to help with the suction of the pink stuff up into the toilet.
-> flush for a few seconds and the entire system's winterized!
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Toxic antifreeze is a no no at most marinas. It is toxic to fish/wildlife, dogs, cats, people etc. I know a local marina several years back was real sloppy with it lots of it ended up on the ground. They were reported and the fines and cleanup costs were significant.

In the old days we just drained the blocks and called it done. When I had boats on the hard I drained block removed thermostat and we filled with green antifreeze. (We did not run the engine so no antifreeze was spilled on the ground) In the spring we drained the block and manifolds catching the antifreeze and we could use it over the next year.

Now I am in the water so we have valves to bypass the sea cocks and pull non toxic through the running engine with thermostats removed. (I drain the water out of the manifolds and blocks first). I always add more directly into the thermostat housing then new gasket and put thermostat back in and ready for spring start up.

No problems last 10 years. I use -50 here in KY if I was up in the tundra I think I would use the -100

I replace impellers in the spring. (every third season)

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Dave - isn't there a difference between the automotive type of AF (ethylene glycol and unquestionably toxic brew) and the "other stuff" including pink and blue/green?
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Yes there is a difference between Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol . Ethylene Glycol is what is in almost all our autos and trucks. It can be Green, Blue or Yellow. (do not relay on color as to what type it is.)

Propylene Glycol is less toxic and is considered more pet friendly. (It only takes about an ounce of Ethylene Glycol to kill a dog.)
Both are toxic and are not to be put in lakes, rivers, storm sewers, septic, or on the ground. It is never to be used in potable water systems.

Propylene Glycol is EXPENSIVE

If you use the Pink non toxic it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED YOU DRAIN YOUR BLOCKS AND MANIFOLDS FIRST! I have found that the pink stuff does not mix well with water....it tends to separate. It is not to be diluted with water.

Safe Harbors,

Dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Rivetman
Tin star

Post by Rivetman »

WOW! BILL! Are you sure you are not a horse vet? This thing looks like what they used to pump mineral oil into one of the horses stomach during a particularly bad case of colic! Just kidding....looks like a great solution and fun to assemble. Many thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out (the colic I mean).
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!