running engines on the hard?

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
RustyBoat
Tin star

running engines on the hard?

Post by RustyBoat »

I plan on firing up my engines for the first time this fall on the hard. That is after I let the cylinders soak with oil for a few days and a tune up. What's the best way to start the motors and run till normal operating temp on the hard?

Is it as easy as disconnecting the water intake hose after the strainer and putting a water hose inside the hose?

Is there a certain RPM I shouldn't exceed?
1968 32' Fisherman
beginning restoration fall of 2014

Lake Sidney Lanier
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: running engines on the hard?

Post by Busia »

What I do is disconnect the hose from the seacock at the strainer. I have a longer piece of hose to put on the strainer that goes into a 5 gallon bucket. If you put the correct size bit in a cordless drill this is real quick and easy. Put the garden hose in bucket and when it's full, start it up. You can watch the bucket to make sure you always have water. No water to the cutless bearing so you can't put it in gear. If you disconnect the prop shaft then you could put it in gear. I can only run it fast for a little while or the bucket is sucked dry. At idle the hose will keep up and keep water in the bucket. To winterize on mine (closed cooling) I pour 4 gallons of straight antifreeze in the bucket and suck it up. By the time 4 gallons go in, some is coming out the back. You can hang a bucket on the exhaust and see what is coming out. Good luck, Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P