Repowering my 41

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Doug41
New poster

Repowering my 41

Post by Doug41 »

I am going to have my 1987 Marquis 41 repowered over the winter. I have 454 Crusaders now and they are going to replace them with rebuilt 454's. I have 1700 hrs on the current engines, but had a problem with the left engine that would require some major work. Rather than fix that engine, I decided I would need new engines soon anyway, so decided to get the new engines now, rather than make the repair and have to replace them in a few years anyway. Any thoughts or suggestions?
bpboater
Tin star

Re: Repowering my 41

Post by bpboater »

What is your budget for this repower? Do you have a breakdown of labor vs engine and parts? I think the 454's have to be partially disassembled in the hull, extracted and passed out the large salon window. While you have room, might as well have the transmisssions resealed and checked. I think new Crusaders with fuel injection and new transmissions are about 34K for the pair. If you plan to keep the boat for a long time or run it fast very often, all new is very appealing to me. If you do long blocks, the engines will be about 10k for the pair plus labor of about 10K. Still will have old carbs, distributors, water pumps, heat exchangers, etc. A hard choice. Are you sure you can't just fix the one engine that needs work. I have seen many people lose confidence in their mechanicals and spend much money just for peace of mind.

Paul
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
Doug41
New poster

Post by Doug41 »

Paul
8K for the rebuilt engines and 4K labor for installation is the contract I signed.

They measured the door and think that by removing trim they can get the engines out that way.

One transmission was rebuilt three years ago and they are going to check out the other.

Yeah, I checked out brand new engines and the quote was 32 K. Too much for an old boat.

I considered fixing just the one engine, but decided since I have no plans to sell it in the near future, the 1700 hrs would require a replacement at some time during my ownership. As long as I will likely be buying new engines at some point, might as well get the benefit starting now rather than a few years from now. I will not own it long enough to ever wear these engines out.

Thanks for you thoughts. As you can tell from my original posting, I still have doubts centered around exactly the point you make.
bpboater
Tin star

Post by bpboater »

Wow, those are low prices for the job. I assume the boat is on the hard. I assume to raise the engines out of the hull, they will use a portable a-frame lift with a chain hoist? Will you be able to take some pictures, and share the job with us? Good luck and happy boating with those new engines!
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

I tore my 502 Crusaders down and slide the the Blocks up the companionway on a 4x6" Timber with a come along and heavy plastic pool liner to aid in sliding. Lifted off the Boat with a Bucket Truck (while still in my dock at Jeffersonville, In) The Crusaders did not measure even with removal of the Doors. I was worried about the removal of windows and tracks and damage to that opening.Your pricing seems OK, maybe a little high on the labor, but I do as much as I can myself. Had problems with the Heads as one was ruined and did not realize that there are several different Generations (Gen 4) and are all slightly different. The Drag Racers are buying up everything and parts are hard to find; ended up driving almost to Nashville to buy a pair.
These heads run too hot even though your water temp is good if you run to hard, too long. The valves will tulip up and pull off the stem. I had one on the left bank cross the manifold and end up in the right side which became a rattle trapped in my muffler. That's another story and when the motors backfire they usually crack the muffler seam and NOW the rugs are wet in the Aft cabin and you wonder what's up.. But it's a great boat and will run 30 mph with a clean bottom.
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River