Moved post from personal to engines on cooling

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
dlong
New poster

Engine Temperature and exhaust.

Post by dlong »

Hello,
I am looking over the shoulder of a new owner of a nice 1974 Marinette 28 Express with a single 318. As found the engine never runs over 100 degrees even at cruise-exhaust is loud at the helm/smells a little rich-not a lot of steam from the exhaust while underway. Could I install a 180+ degree thermostat?-is this supposed to be in there? I could vaporize the fuel better and clean up the performance. Have been told the seawater impeller was new but don't know if the water passages are open in the exhaust risers. The risers are warm only to the touch at idle speed-have rubber flex hoses from them to the stern exhaust ports. Are mufflers part of this original build?
Davel
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Re: Engine Temperature and exhaust.

Post by Rockit »

If memory serves, my 1977 with 318s has 140 degree thermostats. How do you know you are running that cold? The temp sensor might not be working correctly. You may want to test it.

Good luck.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

Mine did the same thing the thermostat was bad. After I changed it temp went back to normal.
Fresh water cooled engines call for 160 raw water cooled call for 140
Bob
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Careful! The gage/ sender unit could simply be lying to you, so don't try to heat her up before you find out. I suggest one of those infrared temp guns aimed on the body of the temp sensor while underway.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
dlong
New poster

Post by dlong »

Hello all,

I am trying to get the right type of thermostat to install in my 1974 LM318/w Warner outdrive. I ordered a bypass style from Marine parts source p/n 367530k 140deg. but does not fit my tstat housing. I have p/n E7093M housing on my engine and I think it goes with a Volvo outdrive combo. I think I need to stay with a bypass style to maintain cooling water to exhaust risers before tstat opens up-right? Not an automotive style that blocks flow to risers completely before warm-up. All I want is the right tstat and seal for this E7093M housing found on my boat motor. Any good part numbers appreciated! Thanks
marinetteman
Site Admin

Moved Engine Temperature and exhaust to correct forum

Post by marinetteman »

moved these posts.
Thank you
37 Foot Sedan Twin EFI Crusader 350s
Admin (forum founder)
Marinetteman (marinettejoe) BigM